Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth spurt?

Default Growth spurt?

My DD will be 4 weeks old on Tuesday. Yesterday (and today) she was VERY sleepy. It was like someone flipped a switched and I had to wake her up for every feeding, and even then she didn't seem as interested. Same thing today. I've stripped her down to her diaper and used a cool wash cloth to keep her awake.

After a growth spurt do they sleep a lot? She had her 1 month check up today (a few days early because I was concerned) and he said she looked good. She's gained 19 ounces since leaving the hospital, so he was happy about that. I told him about her sleepiness and change in feeding habits so we've got another appointment on Tuesday after the holiday to do a weight check, etc.

Diapers seem normal. She's still having lots of wet ones, and she's had 3 BMs since last night midnight.

I just worry because she went from being hungry every 1.5-2 hours to me waking her every 3. She also doesn't seem to root as much as she used too either (although when she did she seemed ravenous).

Default Re: Growth spurt?

I think it's very common to go from a feeding-intensive growth-spurt to a very sleep-intensive period of days! We certainly saw this when DS was quite young - and, to a lesser extent, even see it now some as well. Like you said, as long as there are the appropriate wet and poo diapers, you are probably fine! Great that you were able to get an early check at the pediatrician and also that you will do another check after the holiday weekend. There is nothing like peace of mind to help all of you relax and stay on track and also to help keep that millk flowing! Good for you; it sounds like you are doing great!!
    Jsmom

DS did that too a lot when he was super little. Would go through spurts of nursing all the time to sleeping most of the time and needing to be woken. Still does it on occasion with the sleeping thing. I agree, as long as there are no problems with wet/poopy diapers and the doc doesn't seem concerned you should be fine.

enjoy the quiet moments and brace yourself for the next growth spurt in a few more weeks time