Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stinging sensation common?

Default Stinging sensation common?

I'm a first time poster with a question. I've been exclusively nursing my almost 8 week old son and I think it's going well (he's growing like a weed and we're changing lots of diapers!) He wants to eat roughly every 2-3 hours. The past week or so I've noticed that once the two hours are up I have a stinging sensation in each breast (behind the nipple.) It isn't a constant pain--just a zinging pain every now and then. Once my son begins to nurse it goes away. Is this normal? I was wondering if it is simply my body telling me that its time to nurse again? It's not horribly painful, but it's a little irritating and I'm wondering if this will last for the entire time I BF? Any input would be appreciated--thanks!

Default Re: Stinging sensation common?

I wonder if you're feeling let down? I don't find it a particularly pleasant sensation either.

I have the same sensation. I usually find that it's more stinging when I haven't been drinking enough water, and I feel less stinging when I'm really hydrated. I have a 7 week old who is really an aggressive eater and I have to remind myself to keep drinking water and eating too.

When it's getting close to BF my DS my nipples get an almost itchy feeling. I'm pretty sure its a let down coming on. If I compress my breasts for a few seconds it starts to feel better.