Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping longer

Default sleeping longer

my son has started sleeping longer at night. i feel very lucky, as he is only 9 weeks and has had some 6 hour stretches. i'm not counting on this, but it has been the last 3 out of 4 nights. i'm curious though about how this is going to effect my milk supply. i know the whole supply and demand thing, but he definitely doesn't need less milk.

any thoughts would be appreciated!

Default Re: sleeping longer

The same thing happened to us when Autumn was about 10 weeks old. She started sleeping longer during some nights-up to 6 hours. (although sometimes she still sleeps in intervals of 2 )
    She's 7 months old today and my milk supply is really good still. I found that since she was taking less at night, that she would nurse more during the day....so be prepared for a hungry baby in the morning! All in all, as long as you nurse your baby whenever he wants to during the day, you should be fine.

If you're really concerned with supply, could you get up to pump in the night while your DS is sleeping one of his stretches? (Not sure if you're giving him a bottle at any point or not). That's what I've been doing to ensure I keep supply up. My DD sleeps anywhere from 5-8 hours a night now. If I were to go that long without either nursing or pumping, I'd be super uncomfortable in the morning!! But, Autumn's Mommy is right, as long as you nurse on demand, your body should get the hint that more milk is needed during different times of the day!

Enjoy your sleep!!

As you said, milk supply is all about supply and demand. Remove the demand and your supply will decrease. But it will only decrease during the time that the demand has decreased. So, at night your supply will decrease but that's okay! Your baby isn't eating during that time anyhow. Should he decide to wake up and need to nurse during the night again, your supply will increase to meet his demand.

There's no need to pump unless you are extremely uncomfortable and then you only need to pump or hand express enough milk off to relieve the discomfort. After a week or so, your breasts will adjust to the decreased demand. But if the demand increases, it usually only takes 24-48 hours for our bodies to catch up.

HTH! Enjoy your newfound rest!