Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When will baby stop breastfeeding so much

Default When will baby stop breastfeeding so much

Hey everyone! My baby is 3 months going on 4. I heard that as they get older they won't eat as much but I feel that my baby eats so much. Is it because he weighed 8 lbs 5 oz at birth. Is it because he's getting bigger? I thought that they shouldn't be eating so much. HELP!

Default Re: When will baby stop breastfeeding so much

How often is he eating and for how long?

the biggest difference my lo has made is the amount of time he takes to eat. around three or four months he started nursing for about 8-10 minutes instead of 30-45 which was sooooo nice. the amount of times he nurses throughout the day havent changed much though, he went from about 8 times a day to 6 times.

I wish I could say it gets better soon, but my 9 month old still nurses about every 3 hours around the clock. She nurses for about 20 min at a time. Just now I have noticed a decrease in her number of feedings a day. Sometimes she goes longer or nurses for shorter times-she is definately more easily destracted now. My lo was 8 lbs 14 oz at birth, but I don't think that really has anything to do with the frequency of feeding. I am guessing babies nurse not only for hunger, but also comfort, so you never really able to say why or how often a babe will nurse.
    So hang in there...it may be a while.

At 3-4 months your LO could be having another growth spurt too! DS had slowed down on the eating, he'll be 4 mo next saturday and has gone back to eating every 2 hrs round the clock again.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

I didn't really notice a decrease either, just shorter feedings. Do you notice a routine for feeding, I remember that knowing around what time LO would nap and need to eat again really helped me feel more in control of my days. It's just that DS seemed to follow a similar schedule each day so once I figured out what it was I could plan my day around it.

My DD started becoming MUCH more efficient right around 4 months. She started feeding for 5 minutes at a time instead of 30, but the frequency didn't really change. We're still feeding every 1.5 to 2 hours unless there is a nap or distraction that stretches it out. But since we're both so good at it now, it's quick and pleasant.