Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thinking ahead

Default thinking ahead

My son is just about three months. I plan to start introducing solids around 6months, like the AAP suggests. I'm wondering how often a seven month old will be nursing during the day. I will be going back to work at that time and will need to be away from him two afternoons each week for about four hours at a time, possibly more if I can. And since I'll be teaching two classes back to back, I won't be able to pump at work. Will a seven month old go that long between feedings? Does this sound like a reasonable schedule? I guess I'm probably nervous because it's new and going back to work seems so complicated! (I guess part of me doesn't really want to go back.) TIA for your help.

Default Re: thinking ahead

is expressing milk an option or something you'd rather avoid? because you could set-up an early am pump, before baby wakes up. You could always use ebm in a bottle or sippy. or have the sitter give a meal of fruit and veggies and cereal made with ebm. this would tide her over bt nursings.

sometimes solids won't be necessary. At seven months my daughter nursed every 3-4 hours. side note:some babies will go without nursing all day long, just waiting for their mommies to get back to them. my dd did this when she first started daycare at 3.5 months.

going back to work is a tough transition. but just take it one day at a time and you'll be in the groove in no time. good luck!

I meant I won't be able to pump while I'm working because I can hardly stand in front of a class and pump at the same time. I'll be away for about four hours and I'm wondering if he'll be able to wait that long. I can leave some EBM for the "sitter" (DH), but if I don't pump when he eats, won't that interfere with my supply?

in theory your supply should on decreas during the time of day that the demand is decreased, however, if you are putting more demand on your supply in the mornings then it should increase in the mornings.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

My Son is 8 mos. old and nurses 6 times per day at 7, 9, 12, 3:30, 6 & 7:30 (bedtime). He eats 2 TB spoons of a veggie at lunch and half a jar of baby oatmeal at dinner. What you could like suggested is pump in the morning before baby wakes and that is what baby eats while you are away and nurse before and after work. Your body will adjust by decreasing your supply while you are away, but will be up in the morning time. Hope this helps and good luck!

http://www.emilyrosejewellery.com

I guess I'm wondering if I even need to pump? Can/will a seven month old baby go four hours in the afternoon without nursing? If not, do I really have to pump in the morning? I'm really not a morning person and if I had to get up before the baby, I'm sure I'd be miserable. Thanks for all your help.