Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is it possible to return to exclusive BFing?

Default is it possible to return to exclusive BFing?

i'd like to hear from others who have been able to go from almost no breastfeeding back to exclusive bfing. i'm currently only yielding 1/4 to 1/2 oz. at each pumping... slightly more if i am conscientious of taking my fenugreek 3x per day and having oatmeal at least 1x per day. i only pump about 3-4x per day.

i just ordered a lact-aid and am wondering if there's any hope of returning to exclusively bfing? my baby is 2 months old and has acid reflux which is currently pretty much under control with zantac and thickened feeds of 1/2 tsp. rice cereal per oz. of formula.

he doesnt refuse the breast during the night but he gets so little from it that he gets really frustrated and of course i have his formula ready for after his BM appetizer... lol.

thanks.

Default Re: is it possible to return to exclusive BFing?

I'd like to encourage you to double the amount you are pumping for starters. A baby that age will be eating more than 8+ a day. The more you remove the more milk you will make.

thanks... i meant to say in my post that i know i also need to increase to pumping 8x per day. i'm not doing all that i can do but i guess i want to know whether it's even possible before making the time commitment. i should've posted my question before making the financial investment of a lact-aid but too late for that

i just want some hope... thanks!

It's possible. My mom did it back in 1982. She had to stop breastfeeding my 3 month-old sister for medical reasons, and wait three months before she could try again. Her milk completely dried up. She put my sister back on the breast, and got her milk supply back, without drugs, herbs, or gadgets. She went on to nurse my sister until she was a year and a half old, when she weaned naturally and gently.

It can be done! I wish you good luck!

it's possible. i relactated this past year. my son bf for 1 week, then i quit once he was 6 weeks i was relactating. by the time he turned 4 months he was EBF , i just pumped ever 30 minutes to 2 hours. it worked. try to do so at least ever 2-3 hours! you supply will increase with more pumpings though getting him to the breast will help your supply the most! goodlukc
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*