Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adding Cereal to BM in Bottle

Default Adding Cereal to BM in Bottle

I guess the title kind of explains the question, but here's the scenario that goes along with it. DS Mohamed was EBF until 7 months. We introdiced some solids which he loved. I've since gone back to work and he has decided he doesn't really want food anymore, just milk. Doesn't bother me- after all, when he's really ready, he'll eat. However, my milk has started to decrease (he's 11 months now) a little bit now that I am back to work and pumping, and I find it difficult to keep up. Would it be helpful to put a little bit of cereal into his bottle to help "fill him up"? I know some people say that when they are young, which I never bought in to, but perhaps now it wouldn't be a bad idea? Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    Mari
    mommy to Mohamed 6-9-06

Default Re: Adding Cereal to BM in Bottle

Our health unit in town has a booklet and it says:"Do not add cereal to bottles (adding cereal to bottles may cause choking and overfeeding.). Spoon feeding is an important part of your baby's development."

After around ten months, we've always added a small amount of rice cereal to MM, because we didn't want the babies to find it too easy to extract from a bottle (and end up rejecting me). It has always taken a bit of work to get my milk to flow, and bottle nipples are just too easy. So, we didn't do it to increase calories, although that was a side effect.

If you don't make enough MM to meet DS's needs, I'd be concerned about adding cereal to completely make up for the deficit. At a minimum, too much cereal (and not enough liquid, etc) may result in constipation. At worst, he may simply be underfed. He needs nutrition, not just calories. Rice cereal will not provide complete nutrition like MM does. For me, with my twins, that meant giving formula once a day until they were ready for other foods. My supply dropped off, too, after returning to work. I was able to reduce the amount I supplemented by using domperidone.

I think the caution against using rice cereal in a bottle was meant to refer to a consistency that one might otherwise feed a baby with a spoon, and not when used to thicken a liquid slightly.

Adding cereal to any liquid to be fed by bottle is a dangerous route to take. Have you tried different foods? My DD wouldn't eat cereal and wasn't taking solids well untill we ditched to spoon and started to give her peices and chunks of whole foods (fruits and veggies). Use the search option of this forum and look up "child-led solids".

I would suggest talking to some LC's or LLL Leaders for other helpful ideas and tips but SERIOUSLY suggest staying away from adding cereal to your childs bottle.

Good luck.

Hi MariElizabeth,

I was just wondering why do you think that your son is not getting enough? How many wet diapers does he have each day? Has he been steadily gaining weight?

I think it's normal around the 1-year mark for them to slow down their intake. Especially if he's just gaining his mobility. As long as your offering foods, there isn't a need for cereal in a bottle or formula.

Jennifer
    Last edited by jentut; May 15th, 2007 at 01:55 PM.

Sure he's growing fine, and you make a good point about mobility- he has just started really takin off on his feet. I am at work during the day so I'm not available for him to FOD, I just know that he wants to eat about4 times when I'm gone and that I only ever have 3 or 3.5. I did tell DH to try to use a slower flow nipple and that maybe he doesn't need to eat so much as he needs to suck and that slowing it down would extend the length of his feedings. That may resolve the issue. What do you think?

~Mari
    Mommy to Mohamed 6-9-06

Could it be that his reason for wanting only milk is that what he really wants is to nurse? i.e. to be with Mommy and to be close to Mommy. Since you've just returned to work, maybe he's finding the separation difficult, and so whenever you're around he wants to be with you, and nursing is the most comforting thing he knows. Maybe it's like, a "solids strike" or something...
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God