Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch!

Unhappy Ouch!

Last night while trying to comfort nurse in order to get my LO to go to sleep ( he wont take a pacifier at all ) he clamped his gums down on the tip of my nipple!!!!! It hurt just like he was biting me ( he is 12 days old ). Any ideas on how to get him NOT to do that or take a pacifier? He refuses to nurse unless he is hungry. Its frustrating...

Default Re: Ouch!

You might try giving him your finger to suck on. Or, you might try bouncing. We finally got an exercise ball and that made bouncing much less tiring for mom and dad. Some lo's just don't have high sucking needs, so we have to find other ways to soothe them. Just be glad he doesn't have any teeth. I learned the hard way not to try to get my LO to nurse when he didn't want to when he had top and bottom teeth.

oh he wants to suck. he goes after his hands/fingers. But he wont take my finger, or a paci.. He acts like hes gagging on the paci...I do have an excersize ball, the big yoga ball? I used it for a birthing ball during labor.

Are your nipples on the smaller side? Baby Will hated all fake nipples because mine are smaller and he would gag on the other ones.

No. Actually my nipples are rather large... I had to buy bigger breast sheilds for my medela pump even. ( 30mm size)