Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting Up

Default Spitting Up

Could my diet be influencing spit up? My baby (1 month old) is spitting up a ton...while she eats, right after she eats, and over an hour after she eats. It usually doesn't seem to bother her, but other times she will wiggle around and start gagging, almost like she is making herself spit up.

Default Re: Spitting Up

You may want to have her checked for reflux. One month is about when my two started having problems. Does her spit up smell like vomit?
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Here is a great link to Kellymom. Save it for a reference to many of your concerns in the future. Here is a check list of reflux symptoms.

My DD spits up a lot, during and after BF. We are using bibs to avoid stains but other than that, she is fine. She's now 3 and a half months old and she still spits up, sometimes it's more like vomit. But she is a healthy little girl.

Of course, if you are concerned, check it with her pedi.

YES. The answer is yes, the food you eat can affect your baby. Example for you-- My son now 13 months old would spit up and throw up lots if I ate anything with milk or soy(and if I eat even a bite of milk product, he still will). A lot of little ones can't handle the proteins in milk and soy (soy protein is almost identical to milk protein). Reflux is also a possability. Sometimes reflux can be caused from an intolerance or allergy to a food that is coming through your milk. FYI for in case you decide to try an elemination diet -It can take up to 2 weeks for the milk proteins to fully get out of your milk. Hope this helps. I know this can be frustrating. I have 2 sons and my oldest has had many food allergies, intolerances, and reflux. Hope your little one feels better soon.