Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about weaning

Default Question about weaning

I have been trying to get my baby to take a bottle for over 2 months now. I wont go in to all the details, but I tried every last bit of advice everyone has given me. I have a cabinet full of bottles- I mustve spent 100s of dollars on bottles! She is now 6 months and I would like to express milk and give her bottles for a while and then completely wean her by 8 months.

To make a long story short- my DD took a bottle today. We got up and I decided to give her a bottle when she first woke up. She fussed a little- and took it. She took one mid morning and fell asleep for her morning nap. Then woke up, had carrots and drank from the bottle again! Like she had been drinking from a bottle for MONTHS! She got lots of hugs and kisses!!!!!

So, my question- should I even give her my breast anymore? I don't want to go back to the grueling days of getting her to take a bottle. I just want her to be comfortable and know that a bottle can be her comfort zone too! What should I do?????/

Default Re: Question about weaning

Will you be totaly weaning or still nursing for comfort in the evenings?

I think I am going to nurse for comfort in the evenings. She needs it!

Is your goal just to be able to feed a bottle on occassion?

How old is your baby? Is your baby taking any solids?

Hi, im in the same boat wanted to wean my baby 2months ago but she wouldnt even put bottle in er mouth. Then at 6months she took it one day like she had been on the bottle for months! Be careful if full weaning is not what you want, I found that she then mucked around on the breast. She decided botl feeding is easier, now less than a week later I am dealing with painful engorged breasts as she has not fed from me for 48hrs. She loves the botle and thinks its wonderful.

So.... If you want to wean completely then just start replacing a few feeds with botl, and do it slowly! or your breasts wont have time to adjust!

You wont have a problem with re-teaching with the bottle once they have the hang of it and know what its about your fine.

Just be careful if your not wanting to completely wean.

OR you could have the experience that most of have which is once the bottle is introduced, as long as you (or someone)gives them just ONE once a day and you are consistent, you should have no trouble going from bottle to breast and back. But you do have to do both every day. So the baby learns that there is another way to get food, someone else can feed her, but she doesn't get lazy and not want to do the work at the breast. Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula