Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is it??

Default What is it??

Hiya.
    I have been BFing for 5 months and I last night I notuced I was a bit sore. Today I had to take Tyler off my nipple as it was too painful to feed, thats when I noticed a white spot on my nipple. Is it a blocked duct? Thrush? Infection? I feel like there is a pin being put into my skin. What can I do? Hope someone knows what I am trying to explain. Nat

Default Re: What is it??

It sounds like it might be thrush. I know when we had it it felt like I was being stabbed through the nipple. I would call your ped. If it is thrush you both need to be treated. I prefer genetian violet and its available over the counter.

it could also be a milk blister.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

this site has info on thrush and milk blisters

I second the milk blister idea. When I have one, it feels exactly like a pin being stuck into my nipple. Ouch! Moist heat (like from a warm bath or warm wet washcloth) immediately before nursing can help burst the blister. Once the blister bursts, the pain reduces significantly and healing usually only takes a couple of days. You don't have to stop nursing, and in fact it's best not to, as you want to maintain your supply in that breast.

Thanks for your suggestions. I think it is a blister - well looking on other sites and it seems like it is. One website said I could try to pop it with sterile needle, which I did - but it didn't hurt. The only thing is all the milk came pouring out and it looked diffrent - do you think its ok to give baby feeds on that side?

Yes, it's perfectly okay to feed the baby on the blistered side. In fact, it's advisable, since you want to keep your supply up on that side. The milk won't hurt the baby.

Does the milk from the blistered duct look more watery than usual? If so, it's because the milk has been "backed up" behind the blister, and is mostly foremilk. It'll go back to normal after a feed (or maybe two, at most). Sometimes the milk is a little bit more salty than usual- it's still not a problem.

It sounds like thrush to me. I had thrush with my first baby and it felt like I was getting stabbed in the breast when I was feeding. My nipples were also really red and they would burn in between feedings. I regretfully quit nursing and wish I wouldn't have. Since than I have heard that Grapefruit seed extract, genetian violet and a good garlic supplement are some things that help. Also reducing all white sugar and white flour. Best wishes! Just try to hang in there and seek out advice from a la leche league leader in your area maybe.