Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling moms of 9 month olds

Default Calling moms of 9 month olds

What is your 9 month old eating? And how much? How often do you feed a "meal" of solids?

I have a reason for asking- but would rather see the answers first!

Default Re: Calling moms of 9 month olds

Connor is an eater. He eats at least three times a day on top of nursing like a mad man. I can't believe he's still in the 10% range for his weight! He eats yogurt or oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, occasionally some O's. At lunch and dinner it's whatever we're eating or I'll make him his own sweet potato (or something similar). He eats almost all vegetables, meats, and fruits... basically he eats everything within the "safe zone", meaning no allergens like nuts or strawberries (duh). So yeah, he's an eating machine!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Audrey also eats three meals a day, with the occasional snack. And she nurses a lot too. Breakfast is usually a handful of cereal and fruit (maybe 1/2 and handful?) Lunch varies and dinner varies depending on what kind of day I have had but I try to offer two foods at each sitting.
    She eats:
    Rice chex
    blueberries
    peaches
    apples
    bananas
    squash
    carrots
    chicken
    turkey
    veggie crackers from whole foods
    broccoli
    blueberry cereal bars
    mini waffles with apricot jam

that is about it. based on allergic limitations. all organic. she gets a pretty good variety of all of these but bananas are probably her favorite. although she loves solids and pretty much always eats whatever. i typically give about 2 tablespoons of each, but usually end up giving more if she asks for it. it is not unusual for her to finish off a whole banana or cereal bar in one sitting. she also loves her turkey and chicken in the form of shaved lunch meat from the deli. there is a brand at walmart of all places that is free of preservatives that we like. HTH!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

DS is 9.5 mo old. We're doing a baby-led approach to solids. For breakfast he eats dry cereal (O's or rice chex). I haven't yet sent solids with him to day care, so he gets just EBM during the day. Pretty soon I'm going to start sending to day care foods that he can self feed that aren't too messy. DS gets dinner daily - finger foods that he can self feed. We're pretty close to being able to cook a meal that DH and I can eat and share with DS. We've been on the cautious side of introducing new foods one at a time and waiting a few days between each new food. It's hard to judge how much DS is eating because he's self feeding and we let him eat until he's done. At dinner I'll have 3 different items and offer DS a couple pieces at a time until he's done.

So far, DS eats:
    sweet potato
    butternut squash
    carrot
    green beans
    broccoli
    chicken
    "O" cereal
    rice chex
    rice pasta
    tofu
    cheese
    apples
    applesauce
    pears
    teething biscuits
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Elizabeth is 9 months and 3 weeks old. She eats 3 meals a day along with breastfeeding (not exactly sure how many times a day). For breakfast, I give her cereal and fruit. Some days she eats a lot, while others she barely has anything! She is currently teething and it appears that is effecting her eating habbits. Typically she has from 1-2 oz of food at breakfast. Lunch she has either meat or yogurt along veggies and fruit. Lunch she has about 2-3 oz and Dinner is the same selection and she eats anywhere from 2-4 oz.

Here is what Elizabeth has had so far:
    rice cereal (Gerber)
    barley cereal (Gerber)
    oatmeal cereal (Gerber)
    home made fresh fruits and veggies:
    sweet potato
    acorn squash
    butternut squash
    green beans
    peas
    carrots
    broccoli
    bananas
    apples
    pears
    mango
    avocado
    prunes
    home made chicken
    stony fields organic whole milk yogurt

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Kathleen723; May 12th, 2007 at 09:37 PM.

Wanted to add that Connor also eats strictly table foods... only DF feeds him jarred baby food (why, I have no idea), but I'm going to stop buying it all together as he eats very well on his own now.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

My lo is 9 mo 3 weeks old too. She is a table food baby, but I usually get atleast 1 jar of baby food down her a day. She loves all the Gerber graduate crackers and snacks. I would say she eats 3 meals and lots of snacks. She likes cheese, yogurt, cheerios, fruit loops, mashed potatoes, chicken or turkey pieces, peas, bread, bananas, and oatmeal(ours-not the baby kind). She wont take juice, but loves her water with her food.

The only thing she can't have is nut products We have a really bad reaction to those. She -like Connor- eats all the times- still nurses 6-8 times a day- yet is only 10% for her weight. Oh well

My little guy is 8 mos 3 weeks old and eats 3 meals a day plus a snack. One meal a day started around 4.5 months, then two meals around 5.5 months, then three meals around 6.5 months. During the week, each day breakfast, lunch, and snack are at his daycare provider and dinner is at home. He drinks only water from a sippy cup (1-2 oz), don't dare fruit juice yet because I have a nasty sweet tooth I don't want to encourage in him. He gets 3 bottles EBM (11-14 oz total) at daycare plus/minus 3-6 oz soy formula if I can't squeeze out enough to fill the bottles the day before. He nurses 1-2 times before daycare and 2-3 times after, plus an occasional overnight feeding or two.

He eats 1/2 a stage 2 jar each feeding and about 1/3 cup cereal (dry). Plus occasional appetizer - a handful of oat o's or bread cubes or rice cake crumbles. Oat o's at day care for a snack. If he still wants to eat when it's gone, I'll give him whatever he wants but he never wants more than double the original. We have never had to coax him to eat anything, we just give up if he doesn't want it. He ate almost nothing solid for a week when his first teeth came in and he caught a stomach bug from daycare exposure at 7 months.

He is milk, casein, and peanut allergic so I've eliminated these from my diet (and his of course). I have never asked the doctor nor has she commented on what percentile his weight range but when I ask about his size she says he is perfectly fine. He wears some 6 month size pants, but 9-12 month size shirts and size 3 pampers.

He eats (or has eaten successfully):
    Rice cereal (Earth's Best Organic, aka E.B.O.)
    Oatmeal cereal (E.B.O.)
    Multigrain cereal (E.B.O.) rice, oatmeal, barley
    Sweet potatoes (E.B.O. or Gerber's Organic)
    Carrots (E.B.O., Gerber's Organic)
    Apple/applesauce (E.B.O., Gerber's Organic, Mott's Natural No Sugar)
    Pears (E.B.O.)
    Bananas (E.B.O.) tried giving him raw banana dices but he won't eat
    Apricots/Apple (E.B.O.) tried giving canned raw diced apricot but he won't eat
    Blueberry/Apple (E.B.O.)
    Whole wheat bread (Barofsky's Organic) diced or shredded
    Purely O's Cereal (Cascadian Farms Organic)
    Rice cakes (Mother's) crumbled up
    Avocado - fresh diced

He gets rashes from or will not eat:
    Peas
    Peaches
    Winter squash
    Plums/apples (maybe rash, it's newest)
    Canteloupe, banana, apricot - fresh diced

Scared to try, but should be coming up soon:
    Corn (seems to give him a slight rash when I eat it)
    Green beans (might be like peas)
    Potatoes (white) not in a rush
    Spinach (comes with potatoes in E.B.O. jars)
    Lentils

Eager to try:
    Soy yogurt
    Tofu
    Broccoli
    Greens

So, what is the secret question?

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    So, what is the secret question?
    Yeah, that!!

forgot to mention...a handful of moss/dirt from our backyard this weekend. I literally looked away for half a second. At least he knew how to get it back out fast! I ran to the kitchen sink with him and washed out his mouth and he gratefully participated. No cries, but I got to see a new expression on his face. Precious.