Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Putting Breastmilk in Freezer with other food

Default Putting Breastmilk in Freezer with other food

If you store bm in a storage bag and then in a container, would that prevent it from smelling like your other food in your freezer like fish or meat? Just curious.

Default Re: Putting Breastmilk in Freezer with other food

I stored in those little Medela bags and never noticed that any odors were absorbed through the bags. It does make sense that the more of a barrier you have between frozen items, the less chance of odor contamination....I'd be sure that the milk in the bag is frozen solid before putting it into another container, just to ensure that you don't slow down the freezing time.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I've stored milk for four babies and have never noticed them picking up odors from the freezer. And I've used both freezer bottles and the bags. For the bags I'll freeze them and them put a month at a time into a larger ziploc bag- but that's more to make sure I rotate them out and use oldest first rather than because I'm worried about odors.

I always use breastmilk bags and then put them in a double guard freezer bag. I've never noticed the milk to have any odors at all.

I've used only bags and never had a problem with odors.