Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP...thinking about quiting

Default HELP...thinking about quiting

Hello,

My 4 month lo is not gaining weight. He is 11pounds2ounces. My milk supply seemed low since he would pull off and fuss at the breast. I started supplementing two days ago (breastmilk & formula). I would put him on the breast first then give the bottle. Now, he won't even take the breast. When I offer it, he fusses and screams till I give hime the bottle.

It's frustrating because he needs nutrition pronto because of his low weight. My lc insisted also that he needed supplementing. I also just started taking domperidone yesterday..I actually pumped 3 ounces about 4 hours after he went to bed last night.

I'm also chasing my 15 month old around the house all day long and work at home.

I'm thinking about quiting breastfeeding alltogether since he won't even latch on most of the time.

Has anybody been through the same this??..any advice??

Smile Re: HELP...thinking about quiting

I just got over something like this. It's supposed to be a nursing strike, the only want to nurse from a bottle. mine was nursing fine early in the morning and at 10 or 11 am feedings not wanting to eat from the breast. I was perplexed because it was different times different days. Keep trying!!! have you pumped before, try pumping and putting battle for the times that really doesn't want to nurse. Another person is going through the same thing right now with you .. look at recent posts and you see it- I also answered her too.

good luck, mine lasted almost 3 weeks and she just had her 4month check up and only weights in at 10.15 lb, but doc wasn't too concerned because she has always been on the low side.

lot's of patience, that's the only thing to help.

Default Re: HELP...thinking about quiting

Have you tried some of the other things to increase supply as well- such as fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal, and brewer's yeast? Also- did your LC talk to you about using a supplemental nursing system (SNS) for while you nurse? Maybe if you could use one of those you could at least nurse your baby rather than having to use the bottle to supplement. If he isn't getting enough when he nurses it may be that he has quickly decided he'd rather have the bottle- which is much easier. But maybe if he gets much more through nursing with the SNS he'll decide he'd rather nurse- which will help your supply as well.

There's something called a SNS (supplemental nursing system???) I think. Do a search and you should find some posts about it.

The more you supplement, the less milk you'll make.

Also, I've found that you can get much more by pumping first thing in the morning.

I know the battle is hard right now, but if you can beat this I think you'll find your nursing to be easier than having to make bottles (or so I've heard).

I'm going to find out real soon what it's all about with a 19 month old and newborn. Hopefully some of the suggestions you get here will be what you need. Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

It sounds like a nursing strike. Have you tried nursing while the baby is sleeping? Don't give up....
    Also pls try oatmeal... I have just discovered it 2 days ago and it is really working for me.

Brook

How are things going now? Is your ds latching? If not, what are you trying to help him return to the breast (guessing that is part of your goal??)?

I wonder, too, how much baby was at his lowest weight?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I know you talked about supplementing, have you considered pumping em and feeding that as well?

11# is not necessarily a bad #. Ilana was 9#13oz at 4 mos and that's when we started supplementing too. She's 13.5# now at 6.5 mos and the DR is thrilled (I don't have big babies, at least these last 2 weren't). Are you pumping? What kind of pump? From a btdt mom, I'd keep going. I know it's super hard to have to supplement and ff, b/c it's like you're getting the worst of both worlds, but any bm you can give your baby is a bonus for him. I've supplemented all my kids and still nursed till 1, and I don't think I'll have any problems nursing this one to 18+ mos since we're thinking she's the last. Let us know how things are going~
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

I know how frustrating this can be, believe me! We've gone through it too, although my LO was gaining weight better than yours. But I also had supply issues and baby would fuss at the breast and claw with his hands and finally just detach and start screaming and rooting. When I started supplementing with the bottle, things just got worse for the breastfeeding. Finally we decided on a radical plan of feeding round the clock, putting him back on the breast even when he protested and using a supplement only when all else failed and that only through an SNS type system. I also took fenugreek and blessed thistle and ate oatmeal every morning. The first few days were terrible, he was so impatient and didn't want the breast but finally things started working and my supply came up and after about a week we had our first day with exclusively breastfeeding. The SNS really works because your LO can get the nutrition they need without spoiling them with the fast flow of a bottle nipple and it also helps increase your supply. Hope you find what works for you.