Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mom and Baby frustrated

Default Mom and Baby frustrated

My 6 week old has recently started to get frustrated and seems to have a problem when he latches on. I know that my milk production is ok since there seems to be an abundance of milk being released from his mouth because he is not completely latching on. He is also only feeding 5 to 10 minutes on one breast at each feeding. He is making plenty of poops/pees. I think he is getting enough but I don't understand his frustration. Is he having a bad day? If he is this is the first I've seen like this. I do supplement with bottles of breastmilk once a week. Is it possible that he has nipple confusion?

Smile Re: Mom and Baby frustrated

Hi- feel for you. my daughter went through a feeding strike at 3 months, now 4 months, and just last week started eating normal again. It might be a stike or it might be a bad day. Does he arch away from you and get all upset or just stops the latch and doesn't want to feed?

Default Re: Mom and Baby frustrated

Thanks for the reply. He arches away and starts to cry but then doesn't seem really hungry because he can be consoled. At the beginning of each feeding he does ok for about 3 minutes and then starts to have problems. This is the first time I have seen anything like this.

Smile Re: Mom and Baby frustrated

it might be the strike thing that I experienced- I found the information here on the forum and on the resources section. Mine would take the breast and then suck once or twice and release, start massive crying, turning red and more stream crying... Very frustrating, and my milk supply went down too. So, keep at it, maybe express some in a bottle in the fridge and give that if you have done any battle, if not- keep trying at later time. Give it 5- 10 min and try again.

point is to keep trying!

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully he will do better tonight because he seems to be more relaxed. I have come too far to give up now, so I am def going to keep trying!

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I started nursing my lo in a darkened, quiet room. It makes things a bit more difficult, but if I don't he nurses for only about 5 minutes.