Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: To pump or not to pump?

Default To pump or not to pump?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board, but I've been reading for a few days and have already learned so much. Thank you all!

My baby (my first) is about a week and a half old. We're doing pretty good with breast feeding, as far as I can tell. I seem to have no shortage of milk--I'm leaking all over the place, and my LO is having plenty of pees and poops.

I am a teacher, so I have a nice "long" stretch to be home with her (until the end of August), but I know I will need to build up a good supply for times that I'm away from her this summer and for when I return to work. When should I pump? I read somewhere that I should pump to empty each breast after she's nursed, but I read somewhere else that that's not true. Any thoughts on this matter? Thanks in advance for any help any of you can offer.

Betsy

Default Re: To pump or not to pump?

some moms find in the morning they have more milk.
    you don't want to start pumping to early and start an over supply problem.
    If you have ?'s don't be afraid to call your local leader she can help!

Since you're in the weeks of establishing your supply, focus more on breastfeeding for now. If you're able to after nursing in the morning when you're supply is up, pump after feeding. Good luck
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Also if you will be pumping when at work, the milk you pump on Monday will be used for Tuesday, so basically you'll need milk for just the first couple of days when you're sending extra to the daycare until you figure out how much your little one needs.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Welcome to the forum, Betsy!

I'm a teacher, too. I had about 3 months of leave before I came back this year. I agree with a previous poster--right now you should concentrate on nursing as much as possible. But if I were you, I would start adding pumping sessions--at least for 10 minutes after a feeding once or twice a day--or when your lo naps. You can always add more later.

Have you thought about if & when you're going to pump when you go back in the fall? I pump during my planning period, lunch break, and in the middle of the night. Take your schedule into consideration--it might help determine how much you should pump now...

I thought I had a good freezer stash when I started school again, but it disappeared quickly... I'm now down to 16 oz frozen and I'm pumping just enough for the next day. I wish I had pumped more when I was on leave...

You've got plenty of time to start a stash, so don't worry about that. The nutritional content of your milk changes as the baby grows, so milk frozen now might not be as helpful many months from now. But pumping early & often sends the signal to your body to make more milk--which is helpful when it "levels off" around 3 months.

I know all babies are different, but for comparison... My lo needs between 12 and 16 ounces for an 8-hour work day. (And that's stayed pretty consistent since she was 3 months old.)

I hope this helps! If you have questions, feel free to send me a private email.