Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lasix and low milk supply

Unhappy Lasix and low milk supply

I've been breast and formula feeding my infant since birth (he's almost a month old). I came down with a UTI and preeclampsia less than a week after I had him. Due to the infection and meds my milk supply is really low. (He lost too much weight which is why he has formula too). He'll feed off both breasts for 10-15 min then slam a 4 oz bottle of formula. When I pump to see how much he may be getting I'm lucky to get an ounce combined!! The doctor said the Lasix I'm on for the high blood pressure cuts the milk supply down, but it seems like it's dwindled down to almost nothing! I really don't want to stop BF. What more could I do to build my milk supply back up besides BF and pumping?

Default Re: Lasix and low milk supply

Pumping does not accurately measure how much your lo is getting. He's much better at removing milk than a pump. Do you have access to a baby scale? You can weigh him before and after you nurse him and get a much better idea of how much he's getting. I'm kind of in the same boat. I have to supplement. (after weighing him before and after, we found that he's only getting about an ounce out of me after 45 minutes! ) I've had pressure to give up and just go straight to bottle feeding. But I know that any bm is better than none. I've heard that even just a tablespoon has all the antibodies they need.

Smile Re: Lasix and low milk supply

Thanks For The Info....i Started Taking A Herbal Supplement Yesterday Called Fenugreek, They Say It Takes 24 To 72 Hours To Kick In And I've Already Gotten Fuller! Seems To Work Great!!!!:d

Because Lasix removes excess water from your body, it will most definayely affect your supply. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about another way to treat ypu HBP.

Smile Re: Lasix and low milk supply

Thanks. I'm going to call him and see if I can just stop taking it a week early. He only wanted me on it for a month anyway. I'm not swollen or ill feeling anymore. Blood pressure is fine too. I don't see why it would be a problem.

I know I needed to take Lasix short term and I was told at the time that it would dramatically affect my supply if I needed it for more than the 5 days I was on it.
    I hope that things work out for you
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165