Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New mom. New to bfing. Frustrated!

Question New mom. New to bfing. Frustrated!

My baby was born May 1st. I attempted to nurse about 30 min after delivery, I dont remember if he latched on or even suckled...He spent 5 days in the NICU which I stayed over night and fed him, and pumped after each feeding to get my milk to come in and start a supply. They supplemented him with the colostrum/milk i had pumped when his urine output wasnt what they wanted. Well we have been feeding every two hours, day and night, with an occasional 3 hr gap. He will only nurse for 5-10 minutes total. I think I have a fast let down.. At night he gets 'mean'. Kicks and squirms and grunts. Hes kind of a noisy eater, is that normal? He gets hiccups alot, and frequently acts like he is gagging and makes a little squeal, arches his back and makes the crying face. He refuses to sleep on his back, so he sleeps on his side. He has between 5-7 wet ( soaking wet) diapers, and 5-6 poopy diapers, very yellow in color and seedy. He was born weighing 8lbs2oz, and at exactly a week old he was 7lbs10oz. Next appt is tuesday so I do not know his weight gain yet. Does it sound like he is doing ok even though he only nurses for a short time? And what about the gagging? First time mom and breastfeeder...

Default Re: New mom. New to bfing. Frustrated!

That is awesome to hear that the NICU supplemented with your milk. I am impressed!!

Breastfeeding wise, it sounds like you are doing great Mama. Keep it up!! Some babies nurse fast. The diaper output sounds right on track. Yellow, seedy poop is what we like to see! Newborns can lose up to 10% of their birth weight. They gain it back so fast.

The symptoms you are mentioning sound a lot like reflux. My son would gag in his sleep, get frequent hiccups, squirm, be unable to sleep or rest on his back, arch his back etc. Talk to the ped at your next appt! Until then try to nurse him in as upright a position as possible, keep him upright for 30 minutes after eating, trying help him sleep in an elevated angle.

Congrats on your little one!

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks. I just worry since he eats so fast! Sometimes 30 min later he will come back for more, but normally he is out like a light. Like now. He just ate at 6:15 to 6:20, and fell asleep. all attempts to get himto take the breast again and he puckered his lips at me.

How long does Reflux last and what do they do for it? He does do better when nursed more upright. Nights are the worst, when he really gags.

OH and as for the NICU, they were really all about breastfeeding and breastmilk! They really respected my wishes to not have formula, I really didnt want him to have a bottle but I had to go home and sleep because I was so worn down and I needed to be able to function! In fact the day nurse who was watching Cooper was a LC, and helped me alot.

Info on reflux http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

I don't have experience with reflux, but what you're describing sounds to me like it might be an overactive letdown. Some babies can get their milk very quickly because of that. DS was also very noisey and choked sometimes, but as they get older they get better at handling it. Here's info on OALD http://http://www.kellymom.com/bf/su...t-letdown.html

It sounds like you are doing a good job. I wanted to comment on your lo's weight gain. Most docs want the baby back up to birth weight by 2-3 weeks. So you don't have too far to go to get there, they do gain fast at first so you might already be back up to birth weight. Hang in there, it gets easier.