Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: NEED HELP!...about to quit.

Default NEED HELP!...about to quit.

Hello,

My 4 month lo is not gaining weight. He is 11pounds2ounces. My milk supply seemed low since he would pull off and fuss at the breast. I started supplementing two days ago (breastmilk & formula). I would put him on the breast first then give the bottle. Now, he won't even take the breast. When I offer it, he fusses and screams till I give hime the bottle.

It's frustrating because he needs nutrition pronto because of his low weight. My lc insisted also that he needed supplementing. I also just started taking domperidone yesterday..I actually pumped 3 ounces about 4 hours after he went to bed last night.

I'm also chasing my 15 month old around the house all day long and work at home.

I'm thinking about quiting breastfeeding alltogether since he won't even latch on most of the time.

Has anybody been through the same this??..any advice??

Default Re: NEED HELP!...about to quit.

Nicole

It is so difficult when they are refusing to latch on and are screaming at you. I found that so disheartening as a mother, that my own son would scream and yell instead of nurse!

If you need to supplement with formula, can your LC set you up with an SNS. A tube is attached to your breast. This would allow your son to get the nutrition from the formula, but do so while nursing. This serves multiple purposes: he is suckling, thus telling your body to make more milk; he is not becoming used to the fast flow of a bottle; he is getting the skin to skin contact and nurturing he needs from breastfeeding.

Some questions for you:

What was your son's birth weight?
    What is his diaper output? How many wets and how many poops?
    Does he have any other symptoms? Has reflux been looked into? 4 months is the peak of reflux.

I was where you are. I wanted to quit so bad. But I am so glad that I didn't. Things have improved, and get better every day.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

thank you so much for the reply...

my son's birth weight was 7pounds2ouces..before i started supplementing he was having about 5-6 wet diapers (not full like now) and 1-3 dirty . The poosp were usually green and sometimes frothy. He does not have any other symptoms except that he wants to be held constantly. what are symptoms of reflux?

the lc siad that he may start demanding more feedings now that he is getting more to eat.

i don't know..it's frustrating because in the begenning i had plenty milk..i think i had oald...i fed only on one side at a time fo a few weeks..maye that caused my now low supply..

thank you so much for your help!

I really wish I had more advice for you, but all I can do is relay to you my experience and hope that a leader or something with more knowlege in this area posts to assist you (have you contacted your local LLL?)

My son was 7 lbs 3 oz at birth, 13 lbs at his 4 month appt. We were following his curve, my peditrician was not worried. I was!! He gained 2 lbs in the first month, so I felt like he was dropping. I too had OALD in the beginning: green poop, etc. I too did the block feeding and I believe it caused a drop in my supply. At 6 weeks I went to my pediatrician with my screaming child who was refusing to nurse. She suggested that I start fenugreek (ask your Dr before starting any medications, even herbs). It helped a lot with the refusal to latch on. I also found that my supply is increased by drinking LOTS of water and eating 5 or 6 moderate sized meals a day instead of the traditional "3 square meals".

Daniel was dx with reflux at about 2 weeks old. He was gagging in his sleep, refused to sleep or lay flat on his back, cried a LOT, frequent hiccups, congestion. But things were bad from early on for us, and it sounds like you did well for awhile until you got sick?

If your supply was good, you CAN build it back up. It is challenging since you have another young child to care for aswell.

Have you checked out the Increasing Your Milk forum? It helped me greatly to get my supply up.

I would definitely ask your LC about the SNS. It can get your son back to the breast AND be receiving the formula the dr's and you feel is necessary.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)