Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when does oversupply and OALD stop?

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default when does oversupply and OALD stop?

Hi. I'm new here, so sorry if this has been answered.

I've been EBM my daughter for the past 12 weeks, and have been struggling with oversupply & OALD since her 3rd week. I feel as if I'm constantly engorged and am always uncomfortable, and so I rarely leave the house. It doesn't help that my LO doesn't have a regular feeding pattern (some days she eats more than others). I've tried block feeding (4 hrs) and catching the spray after the initial letdown, so that helps a bit. But lately, she's been really fussy at the breast b/c of the OALD, and doesn't want to continue to feed after the initial letdown, so I have to keep trying again for the next hour.

When does oversupply and OALD (and leaking) stop? I read that it should end by 12 weeks, but it's been 12 weeks and I'm still always so full. I've considered giving up many times, but have stuck with it and am taking it day by day. I guess I just need to know that it does get better!
    Last edited by cmp12345; May 12th, 2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: repost in "too much milk"

Default Re: when does oversupply and OALD stop?

It WILL get better. You're doing such a wonderful job, I know how hard it is, but you're in the home stretch. Has she hit her ~3 month growth spurt yet? That's why people say it gets better at 12wks. Mine turned into REALLY efficient nursers after that, they started insisting on eating through the let down and drain the entire breast, all in about 5-10min. If she has already hit the growth spurt and can eat though the let-down, try to stop watching the clock and let her decide when she's done. The more you try to get her to nurse, the more milk you will have. If I know I'm overly full, I pump for about 5min immediately before nursing, it doesn't seem to increase my supply like pumping after does, helps them latch and gets them more hindmilk. I don't pump any other time. About 5 weeks after their growth spurt I only need to pump before they eat for the morning feeding. Hang in there, things should get better soon. You might be stuck with the leaking though, I don't think the OALD ever goes away, the babies just get big enough to handle it, so I've resigned myself to nursing pads.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

thanks, april 213. How do I know if she's gone through a 3 month growth spurt (she's 12 wks and 1 day today)? increased in frequency of feeding or length of feeding? She was eating better the past few weeks (longer, calm feedings), but this week i've noticed a more pronounced OALD than ever (haven't noticed OALD since about 4th week of life) and more fussiness, although her feeding frequency has been the same, but are shorter (gulping/chocking) and fussier. She also started "sleeping through the night" this week (goes 7-8 hours w/o eating). I just can't tell anymore b/c I've had so many problems.
    Last edited by cmp12345; May 13th, 2007 at 12:35 AM.

Happy Mother's Day! It sounds like she may have hit the growth spurt this past week. Mine always have a few days of longer nursing sessions, then they start eating around the clock for 2-3 days and sleep a lot. With the 3 month one in particular they become much more efficient nursers, sometimes finished in 5min, and it's when they start sleeping through the night. My LC said sleeping through the night hits at about 13lbs. You can probably stop stressing over how long she nurses (pump before if you're full so she doesn't get too much foremilk), and if she eats very often, you can encourage her to go up to 3hrs without eating. I distract mine with play, but they won't let me do it if they're truly hungry. Jules is 13lbs and eats 6 times a day, sleeps through 10hrs at night. Gwen isn't quite 13lbs and eats 6-7 times a day, sometimes sleeps through but sometimes wants a night feeding still. They are both gaining well. Her sleeping through the night will do wonders for oversupply, but my LC warned me that it may cause clogged ducts at the beginning, so do pump if it's painful. And I still have to pump 5min before the am feeding so they don't get too much foremilk, don't know when that goes away. I think things will start getting much better within a couple weeks, your supply is probably at an all time high at the moment if she hit the growth spurt, but hopefully it will finally level out soon. Best of luck, let me know how it's going!