Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's Official

Default Re: It's Official

Lisa,
    I am so sorry I haven't responded to you. I must have missed your last post when checking the forum. My apologies.

Could you update me? How are things going? How is your supply? Nursing/pumping? DD must be about 4 months old now, right?

You are right, $80 does seem like a lot of money. Typically there is a deposit and then a monthly fee. Some peds. will write a "prescription" of sorts for moms that baby can only have BM and therefore mom needs pump, so insurance will cover it. Not sure if this is an option. There is just no telling if the rental pump would make a difference. I don't know exactly how much formula costs these days, but I know it is pretty expensive. So you could look at the rental cost as how much you might spend on formula if things didn't work out for you. Just a thought.

I think you are doing great and no matter what happens you need to know that you are really trying your best.

I hope you let me know how things are going.

Hey Kate,

Thanks for writing back. Things went from bad to worse and DD is exclusively bottlefeeding now. She doesn't like to nurse at all anymore. She will latch on and take a few sucks and then get mad and pull off. At least before she would at least take what I had and I could supplement the rest of the way. Not so anymore.

My domperidone should be coming this week (hopefully) and I just ordered a Lactaid which should be here Thursday or Friday. Do you think it is too late? You are right, she is almost 4 months and will be starting solids in a few months anyway, so do you think the introduction of solids will confuse her even more? I would be willing to wait on the solids for as long as possible, as long as I am not being a "neglectful" or "mean" mother by holding them back! Has anyone ever used a combination of Lactaid and Dom, and gotten their baby back to the breast full time?

I'm so sad and missing the experience very much. She has started sleeping through the night, too, I guess she finally caught up on her weight from all the formula she's been getting. (I can't pump enough for her so she gets about 60% formula and 40% pumped breastmilk per day). And now we don't even sleep together anymore (she just sleeps so much better on her own, with a full belly of formula, and I feel selfish dragging her into my bed where she wakes every 2 hours and can't even have a decent breast to roll over onto).

I guess my biggest concern right now is that I didn't hesitate too long in getting the medicine and the SNS. In retrospect, I should have done this when the problems started at 8 weeks, but everyone (LC's, Dr.'s) were so confident that the problem was NOT ME so they told me to just refrain from bottles. But that didn't work and she was starving and dehydrating.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I would appreciate any advise/commentary on the Lactaid and if 4 months old is too late to re-establish a good BF relationship. We did have it going good for the first 2 months of her life, but now it's been over a month since she's breastfed an entire meal out of me. She's such a different baby with a full belly (a sweet baby!)

Best,
    Lisa

Hi Lisa,
    How are you doing? I'm still trying to increase my milk supply and DS will not go at the breast either except for the first feed in the morning and for the occasional night feed. Where can someone get domperidone, do you need a Dr's prescription, I asked my Dr the last time I was in if he knew of anything to help increase milk and he responded "no" and said he only heard of something to help dry up not the answer I wanted to here. anyways I'll keep posted and see how you're doing, good luck

Miguel's Mom,

You and I are sharing a lot in common! OK, so I exaggerated slightly . . . . she HAS nursed in the past few weeks but ONLY first thing in the morning and it's only for a few minutes and it's only because in the morning it has been several hours since I have last pumped (she is now sleeping through the night and I find that if I pump in the middle of the night, it doesn't make a difference in my supply. In fact, I seem to be able to pump less the next day because I make a lot less milk when I'm tired, so I don't even bother anymore!) Middle of the night pumping has never done anything to help me. So I say all that to say, yes DD will nurse first thing in the morning, like your baby. But that is IT! Never again the rest of the day/night. I now pump about 1 ounce out of each breast every 3 hours or so. I last pump for the night at 10pm and she will nurse for about 3 minutes at 6am, and that's it for the day!

I ordered my domperidone (which has not arrived yet) from globaldrug.tv, which seems to be the site where everyone in the lactating world that is taking it, gets it from. It comes from overseas so it takes a long time to get here. At this point, I have no idea if it is even going to help considering it has been almost 3 weeks since DD has effectively nursed and she is almost 4 months now. It's kind of late in the game, but hopefully since I'm going to combine the Dom with the Lactaid, maybe, just maybe, I will at least be able to nurse her a few times during the day? I know that full time nursing is a now a far fetched fantasy, but I'm going to give it this last chance and if I don't have any improvement, at least she will be at the breast getting her milk (be it breastmilk or nasty formula) from the Lactaid. I have to admit this pumping schedule is exhausting and it's really getting old, quickly.

Please keep in touch with me and let me know how things are going for you. I'm so glad (no offense!) that I'm not alone in this!

Take Care!
    Lisa

Just an idea, sometimes my DS would nurse better if we got together both nakey in the tub, with warm bath water. Something about the skin to skin contact would help him relax and want to nurse, even if I didn't have a lot of milk.

Here's some more ideas for getting "back to breast." Hope your domperidone comes quickly

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Hi
    Well that kellymom web site has a lot of info. I've looked through it before but never found this info. To much to read I guess.
    I was wondering if there are known side effects to domperidone, I'm one that is affraid of meds. I checked at globaldrug.tv and I understood it said that it's a prescription drug. Were you able to get it without a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by miguel's mom
    Hi
    Well that kellymom web site has a lot of info. I've looked through it before but never found this info. To much to read I guess.
    I was wondering if there are known side effects to domperidone, I'm one that is affraid of meds. I checked at globaldrug.tv and I understood it said that it's a prescription drug. Were you able to get it without a prescription.
    Yes you can just order it from their web site, all you need is a credit card.

Here's kelly mom on safety of domperidone:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

In general it is safer than Reglan for most people, since the incidence of depression is much lower. Since it is a "stomach-emptying" drug, many people find they are hungry a lot and tend to gain weight Other than that it is generally well-tolerated.

Just to let you know, Miguel's mom, if you want it to arrive in any kind of relatively soon fashion, you should order soon. I placed my order LAST MONDAY and even paid an extra $30 for "expedited" shipping and it's still not here yet. I checked today's mail and still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by leecee
    Hey Kate,

Thanks for writing back. Things went from bad to worse and DD is exclusively bottlefeeding now. She doesn't like to nurse at all anymore. She will latch on and take a few sucks and then get mad and pull off. At least before she would at least take what I had and I could supplement the rest of the way. Not so anymore.

My domperidone should be coming this week (hopefully) and I just ordered a Lactaid which should be here Thursday or Friday. Do you think it is too late? You are right, she is almost 4 months and will be starting solids in a few months anyway, so do you think the introduction of solids will confuse her even more? I would be willing to wait on the solids for as long as possible, as long as I am not being a "neglectful" or "mean" mother by holding them back! Has anyone ever used a combination of Lactaid and Dom, and gotten their baby back to the breast full time?

I'm so sad and missing the experience very much. She has started sleeping through the night, too, I guess she finally caught up on her weight from all the formula she's been getting. (I can't pump enough for her so she gets about 60% formula and 40% pumped breastmilk per day). And now we don't even sleep together anymore (she just sleeps so much better on her own, with a full belly of formula, and I feel selfish dragging her into my bed where she wakes every 2 hours and can't even have a decent breast to roll over onto).

I guess my biggest concern right now is that I didn't hesitate too long in getting the medicine and the SNS. In retrospect, I should have done this when the problems started at 8 weeks, but everyone (LC's, Dr.'s) were so confident that the problem was NOT ME so they told me to just refrain from bottles. But that didn't work and she was starving and dehydrating.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I would appreciate any advise/commentary on the Lactaid and if 4 months old is too late to re-establish a good BF relationship. We did have it going good for the first 2 months of her life, but now it's been over a month since she's breastfed an entire meal out of me. She's such a different baby with a full belly (a sweet baby!)

Best,
    Lisa
    Hi Lisa,
    You sound sad...and grieving for the BF relationship you want with your daughter. I am sorry. That must be difficult.

4 months is most definitely not too late to re-establish a BF relationship. You would have to consider that it would take about as long as she has been away from getting the "entire meal" from you, in other words, over a month.

But, you have much in your favor...you have given birth, breastfed and have been, and are, producing milk. Adoptive mothers do it without any of those things to help them!

A supplemental nursing device such as the Lact-Aid could help to give dd more instant gratification for being at your breast. I would hope that some others may chime in with their experiences.

I am pressed for time but will look into that more for you.

Take care,

Hi Lisa
    How are you doing? Did you receive domperidone and your lact aid yet? How is it working? Sorry for all the questions but I'm curious how things are going since we have so much in commun.
    Sylvie