Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Official

Default It's Official

(well, as official as it can be). I too, have a milk supply problem. I started Reglan today . . . . . Does anybody know how long it takes to see results, if any?

I want to also follow up my original post here by saying that going on this medicine was after a 7-week effort in exhausting ALL OTHER possible reasons for baby not wanting to nurse/me not being able to express a decent amount of milk to even pump and then bottle feed. This was my last resort. My Dr. and LC said that if Reglan does not work for me then I should pack it in and try again next baby. I just wanted to say that cause i see so many posts on here and other boards where people caution others not to use drugs if they haven't tried other routes first. I have tried several, several routes first. I am in recovery from prescription drugs so I am the LAST person to want to be taking a pill to fix something. I am totally against the pharmaceutical industry anymore and think they are a corrupt bunch of crooks. I do not want to be taking medicine, but this is my last hope for a decent breastfeeding relationship.

Thanks
    Last edited by leecee; April 14th, 2006 at 12:38 PM.

Default Re: It's Official

I think it' supposed to take effect in abouot 2-3 days. I tried it and it did not do anything for me. Domperidone DID however. Good luck.

Ok-deep breath-you are still a great mom...you are just exhausting all avenues to raising your milk supply. I know you have been through a lot and I can understand your hesitancy with taking a prescription drug since you are in recovery. I'm sure this is not a decision you have made lightly.

Of course, anytime you are taking a supplement or drug for milk supply LLL suggests keeping your doctor up to speed. I am sure you are already doing that (you did say that you have discussed it with doctor and LC), but I have to mention it.

That said, LLL suggests that prescription medications such as Reglan and Domperidone will only aid in increasing milk supply if they are taken in conjunction with frequent nursing/pumping.

You may already know this, but here is what I have on Reglan, taken from LLL's BAB, pg. 170. "When given at 10 mg doses three times per day for 7 to 14 days this drug has been found to increase milk production an average of 110 percent in mothers withing the first month after birth and 72 percent in mothers with 8-12 week old babies.

HTH and good luck.

Ladies, thanks for the replies.

I notice that the quote you reference, Kate, indicates that milk production would be increased in both scenarios, prior to 12 weeks. We are at week 15 or 16 here . . . . . do you think it too late?

I am feeling SO TIRED from this Reglan and do not think I can continue. I feel like I am walking in a "fog" and every movement is heavy and exaggerated. I feel kind of like I did when I first went into withdrawal from narcotics. Anyway, as of day 5 it's not doing a thing for milk production. My Dr. didn't think it would do anything, but he gave it to me anyway. He is not at liberty to prescribe Domperidone, but I think I might go ahead and order that at globaltv. The only problem is that my DH is going to be very scared because I used to get my narcotics online (you wouldn't believe what you can get Fed Ex'd to your house) and he is going to be mad about me ordering drugs online, reglardless of the reason. I haven't told him yet that I am having nursing problems because of my supply. He thinks our baby is just refusing to nurse because of a bottle preferance. I don't know why, but I am so ashamed of this problem. I know I shouldn't be, but I can't shake the feeling that I am "less than" as a woman.

Of course I am coupling it with increased nursing/pumping, although, DS is at the point where she is refusing to nurse altogether. She won't even attempt to get what she can out of me (I KNOW there has to be SOMETHING in there for her to get!) I am pumping every 2-3 hours and getting about 1-2 ounces at a time (combined). I am using a medela pis advanced AND an evenflo electric (when milk stops flowing into one pump, I switch to the other just to "check!" I know, silly).

Thanks for listening.

Lisa

Lisa,
    I don't know your history but just thought I'd add that one of the side effects of Reglan is severe depression. It seems that doctor's aren't telling their patients this when they're prescribing it for them.

I think that trying domperidone is a good idea -- I've heard that it's more effective than Reglan and unlike Reglan, you may not have to continue to take it once you've increase your supply

I wish you the best of luck! Please keep us posted on your progress FWIW, the average woman gets about 2 ounces total from each pumping session -- sounds like you're right on target.

Carol,

1 oz of pumped milk, per breast, on a MISSED feeding (3 hours or so since milk was last expressed from the breast, regardless of the method, ie: nursed or pumped) is normal? What about these people that work and pump bottles for their kiddos in daycare? How can they possibly pump enough milk to leave if they are only getting 1-2 oz. per session and pumping 2-3 times per day at work? They would be bringing home, at the most, 6oz. of milk in a work day? I don't understand . . . . . .

2 oz. is the average amount that a breastfeeding mom gets when she pumps -- I interpret this to be someone who pumps only occasionally. Here is some more information on that -- (not LLL source) http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Working & pumping mom's will usually pump more than this just by virtue of pumping long enough/often enough to increase their supply so that they can meet their baby's expressed breastmilk needs.

I think that if a mom misses a feeding and then pumps, she'd probably yield more than 2 ounces total. But it really depends on the woman and the type of pump she is using.

Hope that link above helps you out

Leecee, s: to you, being low supply is so hard.

If you can, please consider taking domperidone instead of reglan. Reglan can cause serious fog and depression.

Here's some more info on low supply in general:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

and domperidone in particular:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

I get my domperidone from:

http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1003

Good luck to you, and congratulations on all your work as a strong mother who is doing the best for her child!

Lisa,
    You received several good responses above. I agree with what the PP mentioned. I can't remember if I suggested this before or not, but, could you rent a hospital-grade pump? At this point it might be well worth the added cost, and many insurance companies will cover the cost.

I just want you to know that we will continue to be here for you as best we can, but it must be hard not having dh to talk to about all of this. I understand your concern with telling him everything...you must be dealing with so much right now. Is there anyone else you could talk to in person? Have you considered attending local LLL meetings? You would find some very understanding ears and shoulders there. I don't want to imply that we can't help you, but sometimes, you know, it just helps to have someone there in person. <<<hugs>>>

Hang in there and keep us posted on things.

Kate,

Thank you so much for your continued responses and words of encouragement. I have tapped into the professional lactation resources in my area and no one really seems able to figure out exactly what is going on (obviously not their fault, just that it's hard to "diagnose" based on the limited face to face time I have with them). I had one LC tell me I wasn't drinking enough water, another tell me it was a bottle preferance, and yet another tell me that I probably don't produce enough milk cause I'm getting older (31). Yes, they are IBCLC's, the first being the LLLI leader in my area (the one who told me to drink more water).

I am trying to go to a meeting in my area, I think the next one is the second Friday in May, so it will be a few weeks yet.

I'm not sure about renting a hospital pump . . . . . I've spent $40 on an Evenflo pump, $230 on the Medela PIS Advance, $100 on various supplements, $70 on the Domperidone I ordered, and a bunch of money trying all the different bottles out there to see which one was "less confusing" for switching between bottle and breast. We are not broke, my any means, but part of the reason why DH was so supportive of me continuing to try to BF is because of how it saves money on formula. I called a local place that rents pumps and they want $80 for ten days (cause you have to permanantly purchase the parts that touch your body). Do you really think it would be that much better? I had asked on another thread (in the pumping section of this website) if a different pump would yield a higher volume of milk and most didn't seem to necessarily think so. . . . . . I would be willing to spend the $80 if I had a vote of confidence that I would see some improvement. I know you nor anyone else can *guarantee* anything, but it would make me feel better if I had someone's experience with this to go by . . . . and my cheap military health insurance doesn't pay for rent pumps unless the child is ill.

Anyway, I do appreciate you listening to me. I am writing all this out more so for me than in anticipation of a response, so please don't feel like you have to write again unless you want to. Sometimes I like to see all this illustrated in front of me to get an idea of my efforts and where they've gotten me.

Lisa