Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Job

Default New Job

I am starting a new job on Monday (same company but different line of business). I don't know how to let them know I'm still nursing. At my current location I take 2 - 1/2 hour breaks each day to pump. At the new location I get a 1 hour break. And I have no idea where I'm going to be able to pump. I don't want them to think I am asking for preferential treatment right off the bat. Any suggestions?

Default Re: New Job

I think just be up front and honest with your new supervisor. Maybe open the conversation with something along the lines of "I just wanted to see if my prior supervisor made you aware that I am currently breastfeeding my baby and need to pump during the day." With the breaks- does your break time have to be taken all at once, or can you divide it if you choose?

When I was a supervisor I would have an occasional employee tell me they needed to talk with me but didn't really know how to say what they needed to say- and I'd tell them just tell me what they wanted to say. I think maybe tell your supervisor you're nervous about discussing it because you don't want them to feel like you are coming in on day one making demands, but that you really need their help to figure out how to fit this in in a way that will minimally disrupt the work environment.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response. I start on Tuesday and am very excited. I already know several people in my new location so I don't think I will have any problems. I was just panicking because I will be outside of my comfort zone. I was at my last location for 7 years. My MIL's brilliant (sarcasm) suggestion was that well you BF for 5 months so go ahead and wean my DS now. I'm not ready to and neither is he. Besides how would I ever get him to go to sleep. KWIM

I know exactly what you mean. My MIL wasn't very supportive of my bf attempt with my first either until he gained 2 pounds in the 2 weeks after he was born. Then from that point on she was convinced how good it was. I'm currently nursing my fourth- and I still get comments occasionally from other family members that show lack of education.

I hope it all goes well for you! It's exciting to do new things, but I know exactly what you mean too about being out of your comfort zone. I work one day a week as a home health nurse. It's great in one way because I'm usually pretty close to home- so some days I scoot to my mom's house where my kids are between patients and feed Stephen- or pump if he's not ready to eat. But other days it just isn't convenient, and so I have to get really creative to find somewhere safe to park and pump.

When I went back to work (completely new job) I was feeling the same way. I didn't want to ask for anything special etc. and was totally going to pump during lunch and that was it. However, the first day as I was being introduced to everyone around the office it turns out that two other women were also nursing and pumping 2-3 times a day. I hope everything works out for you! Honest and up front works the best!

Just wanted to give an update about my 1st day at work. I was nervous at 1st when I walked into my manager's office toting my PIS. She just let out a big smile and said I know what that is, it looks just like mine! She has a 6 mo old and it turns out there is another leader in the exact same position. So now there are 3 pumps lined up against the wall in her office. It was great, my new location even has a small curtained off room in the ladies locker room with a chair and an outlet just for nursing mothers. I didn't have anything like that before and was pumping in my car during my breaks. Now I can privacy in the locker room or use her office.

That's so awesome. Good for you!!!!!

That's great that your work environment is so pro-nursing! More companies should offer the same amenities.

I am the only one in the history of my small non-profit org to even have a baby let alone nurse so I feel like something of a trail-blazer.