Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop question

Talking Poop question

Sorry for the ridiculous title, but it really is a poop question!

My LO is almost 3 months old and her stool frequency is fine...at least 3 times a day. My question is...does anyone know if and when their stools are supposed to become "seedy"? Her stools are loose (very explosive!), like mustard, and I know that it can vary from baby to baby. I guess I am so used to seeing seedy "breastmilk poops" at work (I'm a neonatal nurse). My mom (a neonatologist!) keeps asking me why her poops are so loose. She's used to the seedy breastmilk poop too.

They have been that way since day 3 of life! I didn't know if it was something I'm eating or not eating? I'm not a big meat eater, trying very hard to avoid caffeine, eating oatmeal almost every day, drinking plenty of water, and eating fruits and veggies. Too much fiber?

Any takers?

Default Re: Poop question

All your poop questions answered... http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp (BTW, they sound normal.)

I believe those seeds are undigested milk curds/proteins. My son rarely had the seeds. I'm not sure if this is cow's milk proteins passed via our milk or if its our milk proteins.
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

my baby's poop was rarely ever seedy. Everyone who would watch her thought she had diarrhea all the time because they were so loose. I figured that if she didn't seem bothered, I shouldn't worry!

Talking Re: Poop question

Oh, not worried at all...just wondering...

if it's undigested milk proteins that make up the "seeds" then do you think the fact that I don't really drink a lot of milk or eat a lot of dairy products would cause the poop to be loose? Just trying to do some research more than anything...I'm not a big milk drinker, but I eat ice cream and cheese...Milk upsets my stomach.

Can you tell I'm bored?

My kids rarely had seedy poops either. My first two had classic yellow/orange poops- but they were never what I'd consider mustard color. My third usually was green poop even though most of what she got was pumped milk since I worked full time and there was certainly no lack of hindmilk in those feeds. My fourth had the classic orange- but never really many seedy looking things in them.