Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why does this happen??

Unhappy Why does this happen??

This is the third or fourth time this has happened in about a month (I guess that would average out to about once a week). My dd wakes up to nurse between midnight and maybe 2am (5.5 months old) and I don't have let down. She cries and I change her from one side to the other, back and forth, back and forth, and my body simply won't let down! There is no milk for her and she cries. Finally I put her paci back in her mouth and snuggle her and she falls asleep and is fine. Next time she wakes up to nurse, I have let down and all is well. It's SO strange and frustrating for me and her! Thankfully it's not a normal occurance, but what in the world could cause this? I do not take ANY medication, we co-sleep, I didn't eat anything unusual... I don't know??? I'm really curious as to why this happens. I don't know what I would do if she didn't go back to sleep and screamed to eat and I wouldn't have let down for her. Anyone else ever experience this or know what might cause it to happen??

Default Re: Why does this happen??

My first thought was that she's not really hungry. She's just wants snuggles and the paci. Especially since it's not an everynight thing.

I know my son, when he just wants snuggles and his "sucky", that he'll cry if he gets milk from the breast. So, maybe she is getting milk and simply doesn't want it??

I do not know why this happens. I also have been having letdown problems which have lasted about a month. Since it is even more difficult to have let down once baby gets fussy, I have resorted to using my pump to get letdown started and I have also had to resort to giving her ebm. I went to a lactation consultant who was not a whole lot of help. For me, the assumption is that it is psychological and due to stress and such. Of course, this adds stress so its cyclical. However, my newest theory is that it is related to my sex drive. I have started to notice a correlation between lack of sex drive and greater problems with letdown. I know the hormones for arousal and letdown are either similar or the same and I am thinking that when I have no interest in sex, my hormone levels are lower so it also takes longer for the hormones to release for letdown.
    This is just my theory based on observations over the past few days. I would to interested to hear from you any ideas you have come up with for your own situation.

I don't see any correlation with anything else. Not stress, sex drive, or anything and I drink plenty of water. It only happens between the hours of midnight and 3am (if it happens). Maybe my body is in a particular sleep mode?? Maybe a deep sleep and somehow that is related??

I know she's not getting any milk so I don't think that it's because she just wants to snuggle and is getting milk. I always first try to just snuggle her anyway instead of putting her right to breast. But after she sucks and sucks and I don't have letdown, I think she's just too tired to try anymore and falls back to sleep.

I'm so thankful it only happens once in a while and it's not an every night thing. Just wish I knew why it happened. It's so weird.