Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Eats Really Fast

Default Baby Eats Really Fast

Hello.

First, I should give you some background...

I've been producing milk like crazy ever since the beginning with my daughter 5 months ago. At first she coughed and sputtered and gagged often when eating because there was such a rush and abundance of milk when she ate. Eventually, she got used to it, and she learned to deal.

I still know that I'm producing more than adequate amounts of milk. It generally takes about 5 minutes for me to pump 5 ounces, and I don't pump often... only when she's going to need some when I won't be around that day or the next. So, it's not like I'm incredibly comfortable and familiar with the pump at all.

Now that she's 5 months old, she's started to eat very, very quickly. In general, a feeding lasts about 3 to 5 minutes. I fight with her to get her to feed longer sometimes, but she doesn't want any more. It's not that she's distracted. She's full... I think. Either that, or she's learned to "snack" all day and night.

So... with all that, I can't find any information about babies that eat quickly. I suspect she is doing this because she's getting full fast or because she knows that A LOT of milk is coming, and she's just not THAT hungry. I also realize that mammals like to snack... graze... if you will... and that she might just be really good at doing that.

is there a way for me to teach her to eat longer, or less often? At this point, much of my days and nights are spent feeding her since she's snacking, she's eat all the time it seems. She didn't eat like this during any growth spurts before and she's been doing this trick for several weeks now.

any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Laurel

Default Re: Baby Eats Really Fast

It sounds like you are doing a great job of feeding your baby! Babies vary quite a bit both in time spent at the breast and in time between feedings. Some want to eat every hour, some can go 2 or 3 hours between nursing sessions. It seems like you feel your baby is eating too often? How often is she going between feedings?

Jen

i think that amount of feeding time is fine. my baby sometimes only takes that long and can go for 2-4 hours on that 3-5 minutes. she's got a good latch and if you're good at lactating then it might just be she is full enough. one thing i have learned about bfing is that it's mostly an on-demand kind of thing, at least for us. unless you have to go to work, maybe just try letting her do it on her time and let her express her hunger and full signs to you. good luck, let us know how it goes!
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

She sometimes eats as often as every hour. The norm is about 2 or so. Before this started a couple of weeks ago, she would go 3 to 4 and sometimes 5 hours between feedings. It's also not just a daytime thing. It also goes all night.

I don't mind feeding her. I enjoy it. I just have no ability to get anything done at all now since she's constantly snacking.

maybe she is ready for solids? not every baby is the same and i know it's said now to wait until 6 months, but she is pretty close and if you ADD the solids to the BM she already is getting you shouldn't get a supply issue. i would say BF her until she stops, then offer some cereal with BM in it or a little applesauce. see if maybe she starts going longer....we started at about 4-5 months here but at that 5 going on 6 months mark he started eating stage 2 jars! and he still isn't gaining weight...go figure.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

It could be she's just going through an extra big growth spurt (notice any new skills or does she suddenly seem longer or heavier?).

And as a PP mentioned, it might be time to consider solids if she's showing other signs of readiness. LLL says around the middle of the first year, which is about 6 months, but some show signs of readiness a little sooner.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!