Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pedi recommendations? feeling guilty

Default Pedi recommendations? feeling guilty

Went to the Pediatritian yesterday and wonder what you think about this advice. DS is 7 months and so far I have tried some bannana. I tried @ about 61/2 months but he wasn't interested so have held off. He was not sitting unassisted either and from what I read was doing the right thing. When I told her I was going to give sweet potato next she looked at me like I have 2 heads. She said at this point I should be giving him basically anything off my plate and not to worry about giving one food per week. I asked her about how many feedings per day. She said to feed him every time I eat-4 times a day and the the one type of food per week is only for families w allergy problems . He's 17lbs-28 inches. Since the last visit 2 months ago he had not gained any weight only length. I know he's not gained because he is so active rolling and trying to crawl. Everytime I go to see this particular Dr she makes me feel I'm, starving or depriving him. The DR I saw last time(someone different) said DS looked like a 9 month old but this one says he should be gaining more. I'm so tired of the conflicting info. Anyways, it would be easier to give all types of different foods. Kinda confused and not sure what to do? One food per week or not? We did try the sweet potatoe and some rice cereal this week which he did like plus I've been nursing every 2 hrs even at night
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Default Re: Pedi recommendations? feeling guilty

If he is not gaining properly, and you are nursing every 2 hours, then I think you answered your own question! Solids will definitely help at this point. I would try one new food every week. Once you have cycled through, work up to the point where he is getting 3 solid feedings a day.

Don't feel guilty! You are the mom and you are the one who cares more about your baby than any doctor ever could. You are more interested in doing what is the best for your own child and not whatever a doctor tells all of his or her patients in general.

With my first child, (now 14years), I followed my doctors advice and by 7 months he was eating 3 big meals a day and nursing about 4 times. I do not think that my dd, now 7 months, is getting any less nutrition than he did. In fact, with very little solids getting in the way of the breastmilk that she needs, she is doing great!

I am not sure why your little one would not have gainned weight since last visit. It could be a scale error. He obviously is thriving since he has grown to 28 inches! Sounds like he is gonna be a big boy. My 7 month dd is 27 inches and 17.5 lbs and has plenty of fat on those thighs.

I would give him solids after you finish nursing him, if he is interested, but I wouldn't push. And to be safe, I would continue doing one new food at a time.

with and older baby and the intro of soilds you don't have to be so carefull.
    but if you want to do one food and then wait for reaction thats great too.
    More solids might not help with weight gain, some kids just write their own curve on that, and if they have been sick or teething they might not gain alot from one month to the next.
    most doctors get thier info for starting solids from baby food companies and of course they want you to feed jars of mashed up stuff so they make more $$$
    If your doctors not working out for you fire her and get another one!
    They work for you!

You could shorten the one week to a few days--that's probably enough time to tell if there is going to be a reaction. Then after you've introduced more foods, if everything is going well and he hasn't reacted to anything, you could stop paying so much attention and just offer whatever.

My LO is 7 months and just started solids too. She hated it at first but we gave up on getting her to "eat" and turned it into playing with food and now she is eating and loves everything we try. She still only has one small solid meal a day (2 oz of cereal and 2 oz of a fruit Or veggie = 4oz of solids total. We tried to add in a solids meal at Daycare but she will not have any part of it.

My opinion...go with what works for your LO.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

You know your Lo better than the doctor. If you feel your ds is ready and interested then go with your original plan. Introduce 1 item at a time...let him play with it and have fun. Up to 1 year BF/FF is still suppose to be the main source of nutrition. You have not done anything wrong, so don't let the dr make you feel you have.

Quote Originally Posted by ES1967 View Post
    He's 17lbs-28 inches. Since the last visit 2 months ago he had not gained any weight only length. I know he's not gained because he is so active rolling and trying to crawl. Everytime I go to see this particular Dr she makes me feel I'm, starving or depriving him. The DR I saw last time(someone different) said DS looked like a 9 month old but this one says he should be gaining more. I'm so tired of the conflicting info. Anyways, it would be easier to give all types of different foods. Kinda confused and not sure what to do? One food per week or not? We did try the sweet potatoe and some rice cereal this week which he did like plus I've been nursing every 2 hrs even at night
    What is a good weight gain? Who decides this? Why does your LO have to be caught up with "everyone elses"? I'm sure you've already asked this 1,000 times huh? Me too! If your DS is in trouble for not gaining, they better call CPS on me! DS is still gaining, but at 9 months he's 15.13 lbs and 27.5 inches long... and ya know what? He's "perfect". I think that sometimes parents tend to forget that what the pedi says doesn't always have to go, KWIM? It's not their baby, it's yours. If you feel more comfortable giving one food at a time, then by all means do it!

I don't, however, think that your LO isn't gaining right. I only weighed 17 pounds at a year! Is he meeting his milstones? Is he happy? Does he seem content after a feeding? You're doing just fine mama. I wouldn't worry until he starts losing, and even then you are already on the right track. Exercise = losing weight, so if he's becoming mobile then I'd say thats the culprit (of course ruling out other poss. medical condtions first!).
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

IMO, if he hasn't gained any weight in two months and this is a concern - you should be upping up his breast milk intake, not his solids intake. It is annoyning that most infant feeding resources say brest milk/formula should be the primary source of nutrition for the first 12 months, and then there are doctors pushing 3-4 meals of solids on a 7mo old....

As for the solids - you can start offering one food evey 3 -4 days. Have you tried avocado? - it is a good source of calories. You can mash it or cut it on small cubes, if you lo has any teeth and is willing to mash it with his gums/teeth. Also, is he interested in what you are eating? If so, maybe you can offer him small bits off your plate.

My lo for example never liked the baby jar food. She didn't pick up on her solid intake untill a month ago, and with teething her interest has been on and off. She became a lot more interested in solids when she was able to self feed, so some babies skip the pureed food altogether.

HTH

Mama to Ana-Maria ~ May, 25th 2006

Quote Originally Posted by borislava View Post
    IMO, if he hasn't gained any weight in two months and this is a concern - you should be upping up his breast milk intake, not his solids intake. It is annoyning that most infant feeding resources say brest milk/formula should be the primary source of nutrition for the first 12 months, and then there are doctors pushing 3-4 meals of solids on a 7mo old....

As for the solids - you can start offering one food evey 3 -4 days. Have you tried avocado? - it is a good source of calories. You can mash it or cut it on small cubes, if you lo has any teeth and is willing to mash it with his gums/teeth. Also, is he interested in what you are eating? If so, maybe you can offer him small bits off your plate.
    ITA! Both with the BM stance and avacados! Connor's weight finnaly started picking back up after adding avacados to his diet.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin