Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For a friend

Default For a friend

A friend of mine had a baby about a week and a half ago.
    The baby would not latch on I guess, so the hospital had her pump for a few days and give it to the baby via bottle.
    Well they sent her home with the baby still not latching on, and no pump. I had even called the hospital right after I heard the baby was not latching on, and asked if they had a lc on duty. They said no, but the nurses know eniough. I was not impressed.

She says she has tried the nipple shield to no avail.
    She said that she is giving her lo formula, and expressing milk by hand in a warm shower.

I told her this morning to get a script from the doc for a breast pump, and the state would pay for the rental. That way she could at least keep her supply up until someone can help her with getting the baby latched on.

I am so frustrated because she has NO help. I live 4 hours from her. She lives in the boonies, and I can not find a lc to help her free of charge. grrrr...

sorry not really any questions, just ranting

I can't even find a LC to pay up where she lives.
    Last edited by ee_lime; May 11th, 2007 at 08:20 AM.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Default Re: For a friend

no LLL group or leader either?
    How sad for baby...

does she have internet? could you give her the address for here?
    Sometimes just talking to other btdt moms helps.

HOw often is she putting the baby to the breast to try...
    theres lots of info here on the web site
    maybe this is the best link to start with...
    and she is following the 1st rule feed the baby
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

I think she is to the point to where she doesn't even want to try anymore....she does not have internet

I just got off the phone with her local Health Department and supposedly they have a Dietician who can help her with breastfeeding, and if they can't help her they will make sure she gets a pump. So wish her luck.

I really think she is not even wanting to try anymore though.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

The lack of proper support for breastfeeding women is truly heartbreaking. This will be an emotional time your your friend so be sure to encourage her keep her chin up, regardless of her decision.

yea.. and maybe she can learn from this baby and not make the same mistakes with the next one.
    Its hard when your that far away and cann't help!

I am afraid that things will be very hard on her if she does not bf....she worked up until she delivered the baby and she thought she could be back to work a week after he was born??? I told her I had a vaginal birth too and I couldn't walk without pain for 6 weeks. Her boyfriend does not work besides doing an odd job here and there for her dad. They do not have the money for formula. I wish I could help her, but she's not trying very hard to begin with, and that combined with no one helping her except me (from 4 hours away) does not make for success.

I really hope she gets in touch with the Dietician at the Health Department.

It is so frustrating trying to help someone who is giving up and trying to help someone who does not understand the benefits of breastfeeding yet.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

My one sil was like that with her 4 kids. she would do it in the hospital just because the nurses told her too but with in a week or two she was done.
    With my one nephew she nursed for the 1st 4 days and that was it, she wanted to go out and smoke dope/get drunk so the breastfeeding went out the window.
    time for dad to step up and work! But how do you get him to do that?
    ugg!
    Wic will help her with the formula. Sometimes they give up breast pumps.

Yeah they sounded good at the wic office...she said that if they exhausted all of the techniques of getting the baby to latch on, then they would give her a hosital grade pump to use.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

I am just lost...I hate to butt in and piss her off if she does not want to breastfeed and she is just blaming it on her baby. But I am afraid that she really is trying and she just needs support....but it makes me mad to think that I am wasting my time if she does not want to. kwim?

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

yup the fine line.. its hard sometimes to know when to try to help and when to just let things go!
    IF she realy doesn't want to nurse not much you can do to make her change her mind.
    maybe this will help you
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...bMar01p10.html
    or this one
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...lAug89p51.html