Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dried milk clot stuck in nipple - HELP!

Unhappy Dried milk clot stuck in nipple - HELP!

i've got a dried milk clot stuck in my left nipple. i've tried pumping, getting Baby to suckle there, and also picking at it with fingernails, but nothing is working. Anyone can advise me? It hurts!

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Dried milk clot stuck in nipple - HELP!

Hi! One way to get a milk clog to release is to soak it for a good long time. Sometimes warm wet washcloths before nursing will do it, sometimes it takes a good long soaking bath in which you immerse the affected breast. You can bring your baby into the bath with you, and nurse there. That may help- to go from soaking to nursing very quickly.

this had some good information, http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr06p68.html

hope you feel better soon

sometimes a trip to the doctor is needed.
    IF you have any rednees or puss you might need anti-botics.
    If you start running a fever call your doctor right away.
    They can take a starile neddle and remove the clog.

Warm compresses "should" do the trick. Make sure they are moist ones, not dry. Maybe run a towel under hot water then wring it out. Place on the spot for 10-20 minutes every hour. You can cover with another towel to keep the warmth for that time period. Then try to BF or pump. If this does not help, a trip to the doctor might be in order!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I had one with my ds that lasted for about 2 months. It showed up right after he was born and I did all the soaking, etc. I tried massage right after applying heat and right before he'd nurse- and nothing seemed to make a difference. Then all of a sudden one day it just disappeared. I never had any pain or signs of a plugged duct with it, just the little white plug on my nipple.

Thanks for all the tips ladies! Tried soaking and massaging by leaning over a water scoop coz i don't have a bathtub, hehe... It hasn't come out yet, but will carry on trying!