Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't eat healthy since I've given birth

Default I don't eat healthy since I've given birth

Hey everyone. Since I gave birth to my son I haven't been eating healthy. I eat McDonalds, Burger King, etc. I don't know why. Do you think I should eat healthier because I'm breastfeeding. Or is the milk good enough? I'm taking my pre-natal vitamins.

Default Re: I don't eat healthy since I've given birth

Truly, I think that you should try and eat healthier for YOU! That is so not meant as a lecture, I am so sorry that it sounds that way. I just remember how hard it was as a new mom to even have time to eat right, but it will help you feel so much better. Lack of sleep is bad enough, you can make up for some of that with good nutrition and hydration.

I am no rose, please do not get me wrong, I ate crap too. Looking back I think I would have felt better if I had eaten better.

I asked about nutrition and breast milk a while ago and someone told me that even very malnurished moms were able to produce healthy breastmilk, so I don't think you need to worry about that issue.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

I know how hard it can be for me to eat well, and I have to admit that I eat more junk than I should. I have been trying to eat better, and I have found a lot of useful information in the book Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding. The author says do your best to eat well, but if there's something you really can't live without, eat it and enjoy it. Which may explain my trip to McDonald's tonight!

The vitamins are good for insurance for you. And even with the worst nutrition breastmilk is still far superior to alternatives. You definitely need to try to break the habits for your own health, though. You will have so much more energy to care for your little one. You are worth it!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Thanx guys!

Here is a good link http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html
    I am guilty of not eating that well either. I don't eat fast foods, but chocolate and sweets have me hooked.

I wish I could eat fast food! I am stuck at home most of the time (1 car family) and we rarely eat out cause we are trying to stick to a budget. I do however make lots of sugary snacks...just made a cake a few days ago...MMMMmmmmm.
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

I did the same thing at first. I was what I craved. I did eat good stuff too, but there was little time, and lack of sleep creates a need for quick energy and comforting food! so there you go, I really tried to stop, and now I dont crave it, just Chocolate chip cookies, so try to avoid it as much as possible and dont forget your vitamins!!!!!!!! This IS important, I dont mean to lecture, but I care about ur health
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I had gestational diabetes while I was pregnant and was denied so many things that once I gave birth and the diabetes went away I think I tried to make up for it! I crave sweets and it's made the last 5 lbs impossible to get rid of!

Don't worry, your milk is fine. Mommyto3 is right, even malnurished moms have good milk.

But you should try to eat healthy for your own sake (I'm speaking to myself as well.)

Hmm...I know when the LO it is a little harder to eat a healthy meal...but I am a STRONG advocate against fast food. Ever seen Super Size me? Unless under dire emergency I will probably never eat at those establishments again. If you truly have no time to cook, try a deli sandwich at your grocery store or a subway sub. Be sure to eat loads of fruits and veges....your body will feel so much better, and your milk WILL thank you for it. Your LO will typically always get the nutrients they need. They will take it right from you. If you take nothing good in for yourself, you'll be left with nothing at all.......
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet