Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Infant sign language

Thumbs up Infant sign language

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I couldn't find any other one that would fit under my title.

I started taking infant sign language classes today with my dd. The whole course is 4 weeks long. I think it is a great way to communicate with our lo. Has anyone ever did sign language? Did you follow it through? Did you see any changes in "your conversation" with your lo? And what age your lo started signing with you?

I'm not sure of any book that I can purchase to really learn signing. Any suggestions?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by Andi; May 10th, 2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Wasn't proper way to put the sentence.

Default Re: Infant sign language

My LO is 3 and a half mos old, we plan on learning between 6-8 mos. I've heard that's when they are at their peak ability to grasp it (according to the lady that teaches in my area).
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

NAK
    We have been doing some signing with Mason since birth. Not all the time, but more so now and he has given us the sign for milk (mommy's), and laughes when I do the sign for poop (He is 10 months old now). I think signing is a great way to communicate and it really is not that hard to learn. There is also a great baby einstein video that does some of the basic signs.

We used infant sign language with both of our older kids and will with our baby as well. We started signing to them at ~6 months. I think the first time they signed back was 7-8 months. I almost fell over the first time, I couldn't believe it. I think it was great and would definitly recommend it. It allowed them to communicate to us in a way that they wouldn't have been able to otherwise. If anything, I think it helped my daughter to speak to us earlier than she would have otherwise. Signing gave her the power to communicate. I think it also helped her to cry less because she was able to tell us what she wanted. We bought a "Sign with your Baby" book and videotape that helped us learn. My only regret is that we didn't keep up with it after they started speaking.

We started signing to Mady around 3 months, and she signed back around 7 months. She sign's 'milk' perfect, and is just starting to sign 'dog' and 'cat', but I don't think she's connected them to the object yet. We used 'Baby Sign Language for Dummies', and start a signing playgroup in a few weeks. Good luck - it's really worth a try

DS is 15 mo. We started signing around 7 months and within a few weeks he was signing back ("more" was the first sign). Since then, we have added signs when we find ourselves saying the same word over and over. (DS has even made up some of his own.) He says about 6-8 words and signs an additional 20 or so. We use the Michigan State web browser. It's really nice that since he says so few words he does still have some way to communicate with us. It cuts down on frustration for all of us.

I can't speak highly enough of using sign with your LO. Right now, Kesiah has about 6 or more words that sound like "DUH!" but said in conjunction with the sign, we're able to tell the difference between Dog, Done, Dance and Dada. The other few "DUH!s" will just have to go unnacounted for until we figure out what the heck she's talking about She also has signs for more, want, milk, come here, eat, banana, again, sleep, out(side) and a few more.

We started really being consistent with signing at about 7 months and started seeing signs at about 9 months IIRC. We just use the ASL Browser and also pay attention to signs that Kesiah comes up with on her own (she came up with her own sign for "come here," for example.) I guess it was around her birthday that she stung two signs together, "More" and "Milk" (at the time she was using the sign form more to mean both "more" and "want") It was so amazing!

It is an invaluable gift to give your child and yourself. Keep it up and remember that consistency is key!

I'm trying to get started signing with my ds who is 9 months old. I've used eat and more for about a month, and have just added Mama, Da and milk. I've got the Baby Einstein video and have tortured my older kids (12, 8, and 3) by making them watch it to learn them. It's cute to watch my 3 year old actually use some of the signs when she's talking to him!

i was lurking on another theard about this and learned about this show http://www.signingtime.com/a9/Public...icle_info.html

my four year old and i have watched it a couple times to learn the signs and it is pretty cute

I took several years of sign when I was in college and I was fluent back then. I had several deaf friends so i signed all the time. Since then I have moved away and do not use sign anymore. When my LO was born I started using sign from day 1. She is now 7 months and understands several signs No, More, Up, Milk, Play, Car (use for car ride) and Dog. Her production is much more limted - Milk, Up and Dog (twice thus far).

I have been trying to teach my DH and he has only learned the same only my 7 month has. He rarely signs unless I remind him but he says he will get better soon - now that LO is Really paying attention to it.

It is very nice beacuse she currently only can make dolphin sounds - no words that we can tell yet. Being able to ask for Milk in sign sure is nice. However, if she gets too excited or hungry she will just flap her hands open and closed as a very messy sign for milk. This is generally if she has had 2 or more feedings in a row form someone else (via a bottle) such as at day care and she is Very excited to nurse.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk