Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drinking less milk at daycare since solids

Default Drinking less milk at daycare since solids

We introduced solids at just past 6 mos (2 weeks ago) and now find that instead of drinking 15-22 oz at daycare he drinks only 11-13 oz. He is eating only a small amount several times a day. The daycare is very concerned.

I am not too worried since his output is good and he nurses very well at home (can't tell how much he's getting though).

He has also recenty started sleeping through the night (suddenly), so he is not eating much at night once he goes to sleep.

Should I worry? He is a very large baby (22+ lbs)... Maybe he is just slowing down in growth... Anyone else had this issue?

Default Re: Drinking less milk at daycare since solids

Is daycare offering him his bottle of breastmilk BEFORE they're offering the solids? If not, maybe offer that as a suggestion? And when you say a small amount several times a day, what do you mean exactly? Solid foods in the first year of life should be offering sparingly and they should never replace breastmilk in a baby's diet. You may also want daycare to cut out the solids entirely to see if that brings his breastmilk consumption back up.

It's good to note that his output is adequate and that he's nursing well at home. No need to know how much he's getting

Default Re: Drinking less milk at daycare since solids

Thanks for the idea. I will ask about the timing (milk first, solids second). At home we always nurse first, then feed and he drinks and eats well.