Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is baby fussy because of oversupply?

Default Is baby fussy because of oversupply?

Hi

During the last month or so, my 3 month old daughter has become increasingly fussy at the breast, and by now she is at the point where she will cry when brought near to the breast for feeding. She seems to associate it with something that distresses her. It is upsetting for her and for me too! I have always felt that I have one breast which is more abundant than the other, and it was at this breast that the fussing started.

Her weight gain has been very good thus far, but now she seems to spend less and less time on the breast, and she will cry when I try to re-attach her after burping. She feeds every 4 hours or so, and used to take both breasts, but her distress is now affecting this. I have been worried that she is not getting enough milk, but from reading information on the LLL website I realise that maybe just offering one breast per feed is okay.

I'd appreciate any advice as I hate to see her so distressed. Feeding was a pleasant experience for both of us during the first two months and I would love to be able to return to that situation again.

Thanks

Nia

Default Re: Is baby fussy because of oversupply?

Hi Nia,

It is possible that oversupply could be causing your daughter's fussiness. Have you read the information in the sticky at the top of this forum? There is a list of symptoms of oversupply. Do any of them sound familiar to you?

As long as baby is healthy, gaining well, and having plenty of diaper output, there is no reason why you can't offer only one breast per feeding. Indeed, this is sometimes all that is necessary to relieve baby's fussiness when oversupply is to blame. If, after a few days of only one breast, your baby is still fussy, you can limit baby to only one breast for several hours (aka block feeding).

In the meantime, try varying your nursing positions (clutch/football hold and sidelying are two favorites of oversupplied moms). If baby seems fussy at the beginning of the feeding, you can remove her from the breast and catch the initial strong letdown in a cloth diaper or towel. This should help her to nurse more comfortably.

HTH. Hang in there, mama.

Tiana

Hi again

Thanks so much for that response - the list of symptoms sounded very familiar ... I've been using different positions and only using one breast per feed for the last 4 days and there's been no fussing whatsoever. I'll have to check her weight in a few weeks' time but until then we'll carry on happily.

Thanks again,

Nia (and little baby Lleucu!)

Hi Nia,

I'm so glad that things are going better for you and your little one. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you!

Tiana