Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do you supplement?

Default Do you supplement?

Does anyone supplement?
    I am kind of considering it, maybe. How does that sound for a solid answer, lol! Jonathan has been nursing just about every hour during the day for the past nine weeks. What started as a growthspurt has never seemed to end. He is not a napper either. He will sleep for thirty minutes a time and then wake up. Alot of the time I just let him sleep on me since I know that within 20 mins give or take he'll be up. I really believe that alot of his nursing is due to being tired and not always hunger, but I offer the almighty boob anway He won't take a paci and I have really tried. If he did it would be a little better, kwim? He does however sleep for 5 hours a stretch at night so that is awesome!
    I am going to stick it out a little longer and see if he goes to even 90 mins. That would be TREMENDOUS for us It just gets hard to constantly nurse and have two other LOs that are 2 and 5. Mommy's tired
    I know in my heart that if I was to supplement it may not change his napping and that would make me really feel badly about it.
    Right now I am not back to work, so I can do it and he is my last LO so I know I should enjoy it while I can.

Default Re: Do you supplement?

how does he sleep at night?
    Some babies will nurse alot during the day and then sleep at night.
    oh I see 5 hours.. that's pretty good for a younger baby.. how old again?

I supplement and SOO wish I didn't have to. I think if you were to start for this reason, it could be a slippery slope that would eventually lead to a diminished milk supply. Have you tried different types of pacifiers? Or even your finger? WHen I give my lo a bottle, it's never enough to satisfy his need to suck, so I give him my finger for a minute and it works well.

Have you tried wearing your baby in a sling? Sometimes that can satisfy the baby's need for closeness with mama, as an alternative to constant nursing.

I don't really have much advice, just . Maybe it helped just to write out your thoughts?
    It sounds like you are doing a great job, mama. That is one lucky little man. My sister who has a 4.5 week old has the same type of issues, and she is going to try wearing her DD in a wrap once her C-section incision is fully healed.
    It's understandable that you feel worn out and tied down and it's true that your LO will grow up all to quickly.
    Best of luck to you.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

sounds like my son. read "parenting the fussy baby and high need child" by sears, it can help you understand his personality. they just dont sleep much! my fam thought bottles were the answer but they dont help. not for sleeping anyway.....
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Nope. I made a bottle of formula out of desperation once because I was afraid I would be gone too long and my mom wouldn't be able to calm him down. I made DF take a rain check on dinner and went straight home and poured it down the drain.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Thanks ladies!!!
    You all ROCK Thanks for listening and you are right I just needed to get it out a little I am really thrilled that he nurses so well! I have tried a few pacis but am trying to slip it to him now after he has nursed himself to sleep. We will see how that turns out. I have worn him in a sling and own Dr. Sears book Alex is a high needs little guy and that book is amazing!!!
    I just needed to get it out of my system. I am so afraid to supplement and have my supply decrease too so that is why I don't. I am proud to have made it this far with just my milk. He has thrived so much and is almost 16 pounds and 24 inches now He just likes his mommy that is all. I just hate hearing some negative things from people who don't really get it, kwim?

anyone that says negative thing about what you're doing with your child, when you feel its for their well being and benefit, does not live with that child, nor live in your home. Their opinions, if not supportive, do not count

Quote Originally Posted by handsomesmomma View Post
    Thanks ladies!!!
    You all ROCK Thanks for listening and you are right I just needed to get it out a little I am really thrilled that he nurses so well! I have tried a few pacis but am trying to slip it to him now after he has nursed himself to sleep. We will see how that turns out. I have worn him in a sling and own Dr. Sears book Alex is a high needs little guy and that book is amazing!!!
    I just needed to get it out of my system. I am so afraid to supplement and have my supply decrease too so that is why I don't. I am proud to have made it this far with just my milk. He has thrived so much and is almost 16 pounds and 24 inches now He just likes his mommy that is all. I just hate hearing some negative things from people who don't really get it, kwim?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by handsomesmomma View Post
    Thanks ladies!!!
    It sounds like you're doing great!
    My baby acts very much like yours does. He eats frequently and sleeps very little. And no five hour stretches, you lucky lady you!
    Anyway. But over the past month(so at about 4 months) he's gotten MUCH better. He goes longer between feedings, I think because now he doesn't get so bored since he can play with toys and what not. AND, he's started taking two good sized naps a day(at least an hour each, sometimes 2 hours) in his crib, OMG! And he also sleeps the first stretch of the night in his crib, and then I bring him to bed with me for the rest of the night.
    So, it DOES get better!