Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long will I have to hold my boob up?

Default how long will I have to hold my boob up?

I'm just wondering because I'm getting really tired of the cross cradle carry and would just love to nurse him "normally" lol I'm about a 36D bra size. Sometimes he'll hold on but sometimes he won't. Samuel's 8 weeks old (born at 37 weeks). I get him latched on will the cross cradle but when I try and switch to the cradle hold he lets go or falls off. What am I doing wrong??????

Default Re: how long will I have to hold my boob up?

I dont remember how long I held mine; but it seems like it was a long time. I once asked about this to a lc and she said i should be able to let go after he gets latched. Well it just felt more comfortable or easier to feed him to hold it than to not. I know I stopped before he was 4months but other than that I cant remember.
    As far as technique, I'm not sure what to suggest. Sorry I cant be of more help.
    Breastfed for 20months

I'm still holding mine 7 months in a few days....
    Can go hand free when side-lying, thank goodness!

I don't understand about boob holding. What does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mommapotter View Post
    I don't understand about boob holding. What does it mean?
    Lucky you! The fact that you don't know what it means probably indicates that you are not an unfortunate boob holder. Us large breasted ladies find our boobs are too big/floppy/saggy/heavy/full/wrong nipple direction/or any of these, to nurse without assisting our LO's by holding the boob in place for them during the entire feeding. Makes the cradle hod impossible, and discreet nursing more difficult. Also means nursing sessions are spent worrying whether you're going to be on the right side of the phone when it rings/can reach the remote/can type using only your left hand etc.

I suggest trying a boppy (or other pillow). I usually set the pillow on the arm of the chair so I can lay my boob on it. I hold the boob for positioning and can usually let go after he gets going. of course i often have to hold it when in public, which makes it hard to hold him and his squirmy legs, but sometimes i can position his head low enough to be at the nipple. I'm 38G.

I'm lo is 4.5 months and I still have to hold my boob most of the time, even with my brest friend nursing pillow. Once in awhile, I can do the cradle hold if he's been on for awhile and I kinda squeeze my arm against my boob and hold it up that way. Sometimes this works, usually it doesn't.

I do a cradle hold but still hold my boob most of the time for my 20 month old - except when he's doing his crazy sit on my lap facing me position that he's been trying to perfect or when he grabs it out of my shirt when I'm holding him My dd who I nursed till she was 14 months insisted that I hold it for her always but again I was able to use the cradle hold. I know I didn't hold it the whole time with my first son (and my boobs were the biggest then) but I'm not sure when I stopped doing that. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean by the cradle hold I'm not sure why if you're nursing your lo say on your right side and holding him with your right arm that you can't hold your boob with your left hand.

Laura
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Hi! You could try a rolled-up washcloth or small towel tucked under your breast. Sometimes that's enough to hold it in the right position.

I have the brest friend pillow. That is a great pillow. IT seems to help so I dont have to hold be boob as much. I am at a 42ddd right now( ya big I know). But normally what I do is lay my boob on that pillow( the top is flat) and position my LO near the nipple and then just move my nipple around to help her find it( if that made any sense). My LO is 5 weeks and I only held be boob for 3 of that. Just gotta get the hang of it.
    Last edited by froglove; May 10th, 2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added text