Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden Drop. Help!

Unhappy Sudden Drop. Help!

I don't understand what my body is doing! I understand milk production is about supply and demand. However, the demand hasn't lessened, but my supply has dropped by about 4-5 oz per day.

My dd is 8.5 months old. I dual pump 3 times a day and usually got about 8-10 oz per session total (I also nurse her 3-4 times a day during the week and every 2.5-3 hours during the weekend--she seems v. satisfied when nursing). Now I average about 4-7 oz per pump session. The drop started suddenly last weekend after I had a 24- hour stomach virus. The virus lasted Sunday through Monday, and by Tuesday I noticed I wasn't pumping as much as usual. I figured I was just having a bad day. But the streak continued. I figured if the low supply was due to illness, it would eventually ramp up, but it hasn't.

This is very upsetting because I am struggling to make (4) 4-oz bottles to send to daycare. I've started drinking mother's milk tea three times a day. I also added a 4th pump session in the evening to supplement my supply. I am really upset because I have come this far without any problems and I feel like I am being betrayed by my own body. Is there something else I could be doing to up my supply?

One other thing--I once read somewhere that some woman experience a temporary drop in supply at 9 months. Is this true? Could this all be temporary?

Of course--this could all be due to an aging breast pump (Ameda Purely Yours using for 7.5 months now) too. But I think I will take this question to the pumping forum to see if anyone had a similar experience

Thanks all for listening to my rambling--this is so upsetting. My fear is my supply will keep dropping off until I no longer have milk for my baby (irrational I know but still nags at me). BF has become such a special time for me and my baby girl and I'd hate for it to have to end in any way, shape, or form. I especially don't want to have to start supplementing with formula.

Default Re: Sudden Drop. Help!

I experienced the same thing at around 7 or 8 months. I had one day at work where I barely pumped anything at all, then panicked all weekend and pumped constantly trying to get some milk for Monday. Now I pump almost exactly 8 oz per day where I used to get at least 12 oz. DD is almost 11 months now. Basically she just gets 8 oz at the sitter's now. I have a small frozen supply and when she really seems like she needs more, the sitter thaws out a few oz for her. That only happens a couple of times a month, though. She eats solids and drinks a bit of juice from her sippy cup as well. If you can get your daycare to give an extra snack maybe that'll offset the lower supply of bottles. Anyway, it works for us. Good luck!!!