Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is what I'm eating causing gas?

Default Is what I'm eating causing gas?

My son is 5 months old and, just recently, his quantity of bowel movements has slowed down drastically. He was having anywhere from 2-5 a day up until a week or two ago. Now he only has one every 3+ days and he is really gasey. Sometimes his gas is so stinky I think he's had a bm, only to be fooled. ; ) When he does have a bm, it is sticky - kind of like peanut butter, so I don't think he's constipated, but the gas seems to be making him irritable and making it harder for him to sleep. I've thought about my diet, but nothing has changed. What could be causing this?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Jackson's mom

Default Re: Is what I'm eating causing gas?

I think it COULD be something you're eating, but it's nearly impossible to figure out! I think milk is a pretty common thing for a baby to have trouble with (when mom drinks cows milk, I mean). Maybe try cutting that out of your diet for a week and seeing if that helps?

My daughter had AWFUL gas....literally would clear a room it was so smelly! I read that taking probiotics would help so started taking acidopholous every day. It has been a DRASTIC change....hardly any gas at all, and when she does it barely smells.

Has he started solids? It is often a time of changes in bowel movements and gassiness.

It is normal for breastfed babies to slow the frequency of their bowel movements. Some babies are sensitive to the new stools and they can be fussing trying to pass them. If nothing's changed, and he seems fine otherwise I would just ride it out, imo. For gas pain, I like to use Hyland's Colic tablets.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

The gas is normal and goes hand in hand with the delayed poops! Breast fed babies have less waste, and once their digestive system matures they normally start having only one poo every 2 to 9 days.

Thank you all for your input!

We haven't started solids yet, but the consistancy of his dooty has definitely changed (from runny to thicker and kind of sticky-ish). We'll try to ride out the gas, or may try some of the tablets. ...I do drink a lot of cow's milk, so maybe I'll try reducing that...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kbeana View Post
    My daughter had AWFUL gas....literally would clear a room it was so smelly! I read that taking probiotics would help so started taking acidopholous every day. It has been a DRASTIC change....hardly any gas at all, and when she does it barely smells.
    Hiya Kbeana,

Can I just ask, Did you yourself starting taking probiotics? or Did you use the infant probiotic drops?

Aiden has such terrible gas and I feel terrible seeing him in so much pain, I need to try something.

I have been reading up on probiotics and it looks very promising. SO, thanks!

Eryka & Aiden

Thanks Jackson mama for postin this question its been in my mind.

The gas is normal and goes hand in hand with the delayed poops! Breast fed babies have less waste, and once their digestive system matures they normally start having only one poo every 2 to 9 days.
    That explains it, my LO is pooping once in like 3 days and he is so gassy, before he used to poop 2 times a day.

Is there anything we can do to make it better for them?

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Hi, I would also like to remind you that because babies are learning what muscles to use to push out the gas, they tend to over exert and it always looks worse than it really is. We bicycled legs and also put Will on my thighs (belly down) and rocked him side to side.

Of course you have to always realize you are not the only parents experiencing these things, but it is always so reassuring to hear it anyway. My DD had TERRIBLE gas too, and she was having massive BMs every 5-7 days. The pediatrician assured us that this was normal for BF babies b/c they have less to expell. It was still concerning though b/c it seemed like she was in such terrible pain. The only thing that calmed her was to BF, but i felt like that was what was causing the pain. I did cut caffeine out of my diet and that made a substantial difference. And I also used the Hyland's colic tablets and Gripe Water. Both seemed to help. I am curious about the probiotics. I got some for myself, but then heard about the kind you can give directly to your infant. I didn't get around to trying that before DD seemed to get be able to better handle her gas and wasn't so stinky!!!

I would like to hear of other moms whose LO only have a BM every 4-7 days. My DD is almost 4 months and she typically likes to go on Mondays! LOL!

Hi, I would also like to remind you that because babies are learning what muscles to use to push out the gas, they tend to over exert and it always looks worse than it really is. We bicycled legs and also put Will on my thighs (belly down) and rocked him side to side.

Its good to know that they outgrow it..
    Thanks, I try to do all of this day time, but the major pro is at night, just like Jackson's mama's LO, gas been bothering my LO at night, when he wakes up I nurse him instead of going back to sleep like usual, he keeps stirin and moving n starts to cry n wakes himself up and refuses to take the boob again, so I hold him untill he releases gas n stops crying.

So anything I can do at night?

And I also used the Hyland's colic tablets and Gripe Water. Both seemed to help. I am curious about the probiotics
    Good idea, I might give him grip water at night, I am intrested to hear boout the probiotics too. I hope some mama replies

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."