Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help - son fussing at breast!

Unhappy Please help - son fussing at breast!

My son is 10 weeks old. He is exclusively breast fed. I had a c-section, he was small, we had our problems at the beginning but have overcome them (raw bleeding nipples).

For the last four weeks at 10am he has been given a bottle of EBM by the childminder in preparation for my return to work, on weekdays only. Other than that he gets breast the whole time.

He has gone through growth spurts, but normally just feeds for 20 minutes on one side. Occasionally (very) he will ask for the second side but then only takes about 7 or 8 minutes that side. He's normally really good - will latch on strongly, suck like there's no tomorrow and when finished turn his head to one side (although he sometimes forgets to let go when he does that - ouch!)

For the last two days however he has really started faffing around. 3 sucks then disengage then re-latch, 3 sucks disengage re-latch, 3 sucks disengage re-latch, 3 sucks disengage re-latch, and so on for 20 minutes. It's getting really frustrating for me as it makes my nipples a little tender (and they have only just healed!). He seems quite happy and again the last couple of days I've been getting big grins after feeding.

How can I get him to just stay on the breast?
    I hope he's not rejecting me!

Default Re: Please help - son fussing at breast!

my 8 week old has just started doing the same thing on one side. what i found to be the culprit was my milk coming down way to fast. it would shoot down so fast that she would have to unlatch herself to keep from choking. she would hen re-latch, unlatch, fuss. relatch, unlatch, fuss, etc. very frustrating. when this happens, i switch her to the other side (which isn't as fast) and that seems to help. and the for whatever reason, when she goes back on the original side, the flow iss much better. i don't know if this pertains to you at all (if it doesn't, sorry about the rant!) but i hope it all works out for you! it's so hard to read them sometimes!

Best of luck!

Diana - thanks, but it seems to be both sides!
    I guess the fast flow could be the problem, but then I dont have a solution!

Smile Re: Please help - son fussing at breast!

When he comes off your breast is there a spray or drip of milk? If there is try letting it spray into a towel or receiving blanket and then try again. Another thing to try would be to pump a bit first, then try.

Hope that helps.

to be honest, he does the fussing both when there is only a spray or only a drip - first thing in the morning there is a spray so I understand that, but in the afternoon my boobs are less full (and it is only a drip at best) and he still does the same thing