Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I have become a pacifier

Question I have become a pacifier

Ok, so my son is 7 months old and is has been on bottle strike for over a month now. The sitter continues to offer him the bottles during the day and she can sometimes get in a few ounces. Since he is not taking bottles during the day his evening and night feedings have incresased. And working full time going to school full time and being full time mommy I think I have done a great job on trying to keep up with him. It was really rough at first, because he was up so much during the night. So I got this book that I read about in a few other threads, The No Cry Sleep Solution. Which I must say is a perfect book for me! Well in this book it does talk of putting your child to sleep with breastfeeding. It gives some solutions to it. Well I figured I should probably start trying this since I do want to wean by 12 months. So I had started laying down with him before bed time, nursing him and then stopping him before he fell asleep and letting him roll over and go to sleep on his own. Well that worked great for the first 5 days.

Now, he goes to sleep and wakes up an hour later crying, so I feed him. He will fall asleep or stop sucking, but once I unlatch him, he wakes up and starts screaming. So I let him latch back on only to have him nurse for 30 seconds and stop again. I unlatch him and he starts screaming. I am not just talking a little cry, I am talking like he is in pain screams. He just wants me in his mouth as a pacifier. I am out of solutions. I don't know what to do, I end up giving him what he wants because I am not a fan of the crying it out method (hints on the book I am reading The No Cry Sleep Solution). Does anyone have any other suggestions other then crying it out?

Default Re: I have become a pacifier

How about using a pacifier?

forgot to post in my long thread.... He won't take a pacifier. He never really has. I have tried and it just makes him scream louder and he hits it away.

I don't know - I've never been in your position, but would he try taking solids? Perhaps drinking from a cup instead of a bottle?

I'm sorry you are having a rough time (((HUGS))) but you'll get through this! I think you are doing great by looking to resources like The No Cry Sleep Solution. If I may ask, how long have you been implementing the techniques outlined in the book, or how long have you been trying to break the nurse/sleep association with your baby? If it hasn't been very long, then take heart. The key in any thing is consistency. And often times even when we are consistent, we have set-backs

It might help if you think of yourself as a comforter, rather than a pacifier. You aren't pacifying your baby - you are comforting him. At 7 months old, he's still quite small and heading through some serious developmental changes. Those alone often cause sleep disturbances.

If the methods in the NCSS aren't working for you right now, perhaps taking a break and trying again in a couple of weeks would lessen your frustration?

Try to hang in there and be patient -- you'll get through this!