Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to wake Baby?

Default How to wake Baby?

My little fella is quite a light sleeper, but unfortunately that does not apply when he falls asleep at the breast! And since that happens quite often, i always end up dealing with half-finished feedings and a never-really-satisfied baby.

The usual pokes, tweaks, shakes and even switching sides don't work. Sometimes changing the angle in which he's lying, such as when i lean forward or to the side, will wake him sufficiently to take a grand total of 3 more suckles and one swallow, before he drifts right back to sleep. Massaging the breast achieves roughly the same effect.

i'm out of ideas! Anyone has any tricks that you use on your sleepy baby?

Default Re: How to wake Baby?

i tried the undressing but what worked for me was half way through feeding id change her and relatch...thats the only thing that worked maybe it was the cool wipe?

He was made with cute little feet for a reason - fiddle with them! Might keep him going a bit longer.
    Finn - born 24/02/2007 7lb 6oz

The lc at the hospital told us that the arm is like a lever for the baby to suck. If you raise and lower the arm, then the baby usually eats. It does not fully wake them up, but it triggers the suck reflex and the baby starts to eat again. This worked when my DD was little. It was nearly impossible to keep her awake while bf too. Good Luck!

Whenever I try to put my LO to sleep in the crib it's like he senses it and wakes up instantly (we co-sleep or he sleeps in a basinette next to my bed). So I use it to my advantage now -- If he falls asleep mid-feeding I put him down and sure enough he wakes up and is ready for more.

I'll second the pp- I put DS flat on his back and he wakes right up but I don't feed him right away, I wait a minute until he is really awake and usually furious. The more awake he is, the longer and stronger he sucks.

I don't know if this helps but when my baby falls asleep at the breast I use it as the perfect time to file her nails (which she hates and it always works) It is a little tricky to tackle but it works. During the night if she falls asleep I will change her diaper. This is always guarenteed to wake her. She usually is not happy when she wakes but she wakes and then we finish eating. Good luck!!

MELISSA316 - Undressing? Hmm... sounds like it's worth a shot! He hates people fiddling with his clothing!

ILoveMyJammies - Maybe i'll try a bit of Chinese foot reflexology, hehe! Or what i can do is take off the bootie or sock he's wearing. He absolutely hates that, since to him it means someone is going to prick him and draw his blood! (He was in and out of the polyclinic for weeks due to a really persistent case of breastmilk jaundice that simply refused to clear until we supplemented with formula. )

Lainey's Mom - The arm is like a lever? Hehe, interesting way of putting it, but i've tried that one... sigh. The hubby has even grabbed his arms and legs and done the moves to the harehareyukai dance. No such luck. In fact, the more effective lever in my son's case is his leg.

satchmo - i do that too! During his regular fussy period, you can walk and rock and sing him to sleep, but once his butt touches the crib surface, off he goes again! Unfortunately, this trick only works about half the time when it comes to feedings, especially night feedings... it would be the case, wouldn't it? Hehe!

jlko - Put him on his back? Haven't tried that one yet, hmmm... will let you know if it works!

sarahs1 - Filing nails? Haven't tried that one either... maybe i should!

Thanks for all the responses ladies! You're great!