Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain when milk replenishes

Lightbulb Pain when milk replenishes

Once my two month old Amelie empties my breast, I feel a pain when my milk is replenishing in the empty breast.It is a painful feeling of milk filling my ducts, but í'm not sure if thats partly what it is. Does anyone know why this is ? It is quite uncomfortable I welcome any suggestions or comments, thanks all

Default Re: Pain when milk replenishes

You could have a yeast infection in the breast. This is what happened to me. Has your baby had thrush? It can be passed to the breast.

Hey! No my baby hasn't had thrush, What are some of the signs of it? I'm not sure what it could be because I don't have any nipple pain its seems to be inside the breast? They are a bit red though.....if this is what i have how do you get it and can it only affect one breast?

Do they have a fever? Red streaks? If so, it may be mastisis. Best way to check that is go to dr. It can be in only one breast as well as a yeast infection.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

It could be any of the above, or it could be natural "refill pains", due to sudden refilling of the milk ducts. If it's not something new, I would assume that is it.

If it is new, do consider the possibilty of thrush.

Quote Originally Posted by home executive
    It could be any of the above, or it could be natural "refill pains", due to sudden refilling of the milk ducts. If it's not something new, I would assume that is it.
    I had this & got checked out by the doctor - it was "natural" refill pains - especially for a 1st child apparantly your boobs just arent used to filling up with milk. Mine got better by around 6-7 weeks.

Okay now I think what I am feeling is most likely to be my milk replacing because it does feel like a filling up sensation , but it is painful. It's almost as if I can feel the ducts gathering milk, and when they are past a certain point it doesnt hurt anymore. I don't think it's thrush or mastitis because it's not painful quite to that extent. Thanks all for the input, I think the last few comments are what i am experiencing! I am in my 8th week of breastfeeding, and this is also my first child.....
    Last edited by MummyLuvsYou; April 14th, 2006 at 12:59 AM.

what I also noticed was immediately after feeding my boobs would sometimes have tiny tiny little shaking tremors which the doc said was ?vasospasm? (boobs filling up)

the other thing he said was look at how much 125ml of liquid is (4oz) and then try and imagine that in your boob! no wonder it hurts when it refills