Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shaking while nursing

Default shaking while nursing

This may seem over reacting but i have noticed this happen about 5 times, when my little on is nursing and is falling asleep sometimes his hands will start shaking a lot. It almost seems seizure like but only his arms are shaking, not the rest of his body and if I pull my nipple out of his mouth he stops right away. Has this happened to anyone? It has only happened when he is feeding to go to sleep.

**I meant to post this in infant feeding, LO is 5 months old**
    Last edited by lizyU; May 9th, 2007 at 03:48 PM.

Default Re: shaking while nursing

any fever?
    Last edited by jlko; May 9th, 2007 at 04:14 PM.

no never, it is always really brief.

we have this problem but LO is only 6 weeks so doc. says it is his nervous system. I know they can occur w/ fever. Sorry i'm no help.

Did the Dr. say it was normal? I don't want to make an appointment about it unless it something that needs to be addressed. His next appointment isn't for a month.

He actually did it while we were still in the hospital and I ran out and got a nurse. I made her stay in the room until he did it again and once he did she said it was perfectly normal. I was still terrified and it continued and still continues to happen. His arms and legs seem to twich or jump in sync. Sometimes his eyes do as well, especially as he falls asleep or starts to wake.

I asked the dr. at about 4 weeks and she said it's fine and not to worry about it. Are you just seeing it now or is it possible it has been happening all along? They told me it is an under-developed nervous system and that it was fine. My first two never did it but i keep getting "it's fine" from everyone I ask... I know how scary it is and i'm sorry that you have to feel this way.

Thanks, I noticed it the first time a couple months ago, then it has happened a few times after that. My DH actually saw it happen the second time and he said it looked like he was just shaking from being cold, which he wasn't but that was what it looked like. He does tend to wave his arms when he is really mad and flustered but not shaking, it's just weird because he is almost asleep when it happens.

MY 7 week old does this all the time. Expecially when I change her diaper or feed her. Sometimes her lip even quivers at the same time. Everyone I have talked to said this is normal too from what I understand!!

I wake the poor little angel up everytime I see it. It is so scary to me but evidently it's fine. My niece has febrile seizures and even those don't require emergency medical attention. I wish I had a better explanation for it, I will update when I ask again on the 24th at our 8 week check-up.

My little fella does it too, but in his legs. And he does it so fast it's not really shaking, it's more like vibrating! The good thing is it only happens for a second or so. i haven't had a chance to ask the doc why... though he's so hyperactive the vibrating doesn't really register on my mind.

(Makes mental note to ask at 8 week appointment.)