Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Supply-Dont want to give up

Default Low Supply-Dont want to give up

Hi,
    I am posting for the first time here. My baby girl is 19 days old and I have been breastfeeding and supplementing with formula. At her first doctor's visit 10 days after birth, she actually weighed lesser than what she was when we left the hospital, so the doctor asked me to pump and see how much milk I was making. I barely got 1 oz and since then tried a lot of things to increase my supply. I have been taking fenugreek capsules and pumping every 3 hrs( as much as I can). My question is this: I have PCOS and was taking metformin before I got pregnant, when I spoke to an LC , she said that because of my PCOS I might be having the supply issues, and if I dont get my supply up within a week, I should stop trying and just switch to formula. It's almost a week since I started trying and I hardly get 2 oz now, only once I got 3 oz. I am worried now that I might never get to exclusively breastfeed my daughter. I feel really depressed and like I have failed her somehow. Did anyone increase their supply inspite of PCOS? Any suggestions for me?

Default Re: Low Supply-Dont want to give up

2 or 3 ounces isn't bad for only 19 days old! 2 oz. is 100% more than you were getting a little while ago right? I know you said you can't pump more than every 3 hours, but the best way to up your supply is to nurse as much as possible, and pump too. Nursing is more important because your baby is better at stimulating your breast than the pump.

Oh, and are you pumping right after a feeding or what? If so, one ounce is A LOT since baby would have just removed most of the milk.

Try to take your baby to bed with you for two days. Bring lots of water and snacks with you and don't worry about housework or meals or anything. Taking baths also helps babies nurse more and boost supply.

I would ditch the formula immediately and only give expressed milk if you feel the baby needs more than what she's getting directly from you.

Sorry, I don't know what PCOS is... but I do think you're already making progress! Also, try finding your closest LLL leader and get some one-on-one support/help. Best of luck!!!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Quote Originally Posted by SPmom81 View Post
    Hi,
    I am posting for the first time here. My baby girl is 19 days old and I have been breastfeeding and supplementing with formula. At her first doctor's visit 10 days after birth, she actually weighed lesser than what she was when we left the hospital, so the doctor asked me to pump and see how much milk I was making. I barely got 1 oz and since then tried a lot of things to increase my supply. I have been taking fenugreek capsules and pumping every 3 hrs( as much as I can). My question is this: I have PCOS and was taking metformin before I got pregnant, when I spoke to an LC , she said that because of my PCOS I might be having the supply issues, and if I dont get my supply up within a week, I should stop trying and just switch to formula. It's almost a week since I started trying and I hardly get 2 oz now, only once I got 3 oz. I am worried now that I might never get to exclusively breastfeed my daughter. I feel really depressed and like I have failed her somehow. Did anyone increase their supply inspite of PCOS? Any suggestions for me?

Are you still taking metformin (glucophage)? If no, consider asking your doc if you could get back on it again to see what happens. I've seen production go up significantly for some moms after resuming it. (If you need refs for your doc on metformin being compatible with BF, contact me via personal email.)

When you say you pump and get 2 oz, do you mean in one pumping session or over several? That seems within OK range for a session. What pump are you using (and are the flanges/pieces that go over breasts) the right size?

If your LC is a real LC, I think she's way out of line! (And I say that as a LC too.) Whether you can exclusively BF or not is still an unknown, but partial BF is worthwhile and babies do get immunological and nutritional benefits from it! (I've got refs on that too!) To say to switch to formula unless production is up is not her call! (And indicates she is uninformed about the very real benefits of even partial BF.) I hope you can find a different LC. You deserve more support. There is no reason you should have to give up BF -- no matter what!

If needed, would you consider using an "at breast" way of supplementing, so you and your wonderful daughter get the best of both worlds?

And with all you're doing for your baby, you have NOT failed her! You're wonderful! How lucky she is to have you!

Congratulations on your new baby girl!!!!! I agree with the above reply, she had some excellent advice. My baby girl is 4 months old (12 weeks adjusted age) I always delt with low supply issues. I take Fenugreek and bathe with my baby, Most I have ever pumped was 1oz, lol. I agree with ditching the formula. Are wet diapers ok? How much did she weigh at birth and how much does she weigh now?
    My daughter was 6lbs 9oz at birth and came home weighing 6lbs 2oz, by 5 days she regained her weight and at 2 weeks went down to 5lbs 14oz. So, I know where u are comming from. i was also told to supplement and it messed my suply up. Good Luck!!!!

dont give up ur doing good like the pp thats good dont beat ur self up

Thanks a lot for all the encouragement. I get 2oz when I pump 2 hrs after nursing. I have taken ur advice and started nursing more instead of pumping like every 2 hrs. I am going to talk to my doctor about re starting metformin. You guys are great, now I feel so much more confident. Thanks again!!

I have just joined; my DD was born June 12th and I am in the exact same position you were. I have PCOS and had to use metformin and fertility drugs to become pregnant; when my milk supply was so low the pediatrician instructed us to start supplementing with formula, I immediately found an LC who instructed me to get a hospital-grade pump and suggested Reglan as well as contacting my dr about taking metformin again. My sister-in-law has also had some success with fenugreek. How is it going for you? My DH is very supportive, but I would love some encouragement from someone who has been through the same thing.

hi-

I just wanted to chime in and say my ds is 6 weeks old- she has been exclusively bf from day 1. To this day I only get about 2-3 oz total if I pump 2 hours after bf.

I am neurotic about my supply, but my baby is happy after she eats- she is fat and happy! so I am going with the thinking that baby gets more milk than a pump ever can.

Lauren