Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby constantly pulling off and wanting back on

Default Baby constantly pulling off and wanting back on

I have a 3 month old who has been pulling off of the breast. She will stay latched on right after the let down but after a few minutes she pulls off constantly. She wants right back on so I know that she is still hungry. I am working so she is on a bottle. I wondered if it was because the flow was faster with the bottle. Please help me figure this out. I am getting so frustrated that I thought about weaning her but I know I need to stick with it. Thanks.

Default Re: Baby constantly pulling off and wanting back on

One of the ways a baby will try to the trick the breast into another faster let down is by stopping and restarting.
    Also at that age I would suspect gas to be the cause of the on, off thing. It sounds like your baby is doing the "gas" routine. Does bb ever have the nipple in her mouth and turn and arch? What are you doing for gas? Bicycling the legs can help, and more frequent burping. Also check here: for fussy at the breast
    Consider nursing in a quieter place or in a sling. Babies can start getting really distracted as they get older.
    Almost for got to ask if you are trying breast compressions while you wait for the second letdown?

babies pull of for lots of reasons, a leader can help you figure out whats going on. You might be on to something with the bottles. Some babies have real trouble going between bottle and breast.

My LO is doing the same thing (3 mos & 2 wks old)! We started using this weird toy my mom's coworker made that is a square of fleece with loops of ribbons sewn on...he has almost stopped trying to pull my nipple off by turning away while still latched (OUCH!). Your LO might be distracted/curious/bored...try something new and interesting to look at...like a new rattle or a nursing necklace or something =)
    Let me know what works for you...I'm interested to find out what is causing it/what ends up fixing it for you =)

Best of luck!
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

My LO (8 weeks) like to do that too, but it's a lot better since I weaned him off the bottle. Also, he likes to just pull and stretch the nipple and push with his legs, it really hurts sometimes! I hate it but he likes doing it for some reason. Maybe as another person suggested he's trying to get another let-down coming. But I know the bottle thing has a big influence on their desire for "fast" flow, and the breast doesn't always offer that and then they get frustrated. At least that's what I've experienced.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same issue and my baby's weight gain has slowed way down.

are you using the lowest flow nipples for the bottles? Bec if not, they will get used to the easy fast flow and wont want to "work" for it at the breast!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

my 7 week-old does this too..in between letdowns.. in addition to fussing and pulling/pushing at the breast.. it sucks (no pun), and is painful at times. i try to hold her hand to keep her from pushing away, and do the compressions, which work half the time. i guess she's greedy, and the milk isn't coming fast enough for her LOL.. and we have only used a bottle twice, so we don't even have that adding to the problem.

Same boat here as well (LO is 8 weeks). I can only feel my first let down, never felt any others. How often do let downs occur and how will I know when it's happening if I can't feel it?