Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: left breast feeling empty

Default left breast feeling empty

Is it possible that bc my baby has a right breast preference that the left does not fill as much anymore. I feel when he is breast feeding from the left ,he does not swallow as much and first he gets a lot for few min then very slow. I tried to pump after a feeding that side ,I GOT ONLY LESS THAN AN OUNCE. my breast does not feel full between feedings on this side. while the right I always feel it s full

Default Re: left breast feeling empty

First let me tell you that there are plenty of women out there that have had breast removal surgery and nurse with only one breast just fine. If you do produce less in one breast it should no effect your ability to feed your baby. You say one feels more engorged than the other, and it could be that indeed your baby has a serious preference. It could also be about the time that all women's breasts come in line with the demand of their baby. How old is your baby now? At some point the breast figures out exactly what to make, and stops making all the extra. This is normal. You will feel like you stopped making milk, your breasts might even feel limp! Rest assured that milk is still being made, you heard a let down and that is good news. Plus remember that the milk ducts are located all the way up towards your armpit and there are plenty of places to store milk. Getting an ounce after feeding, is a good sign that there is milk available. Are your wet diaper outputs good/ 5-6 wets (disposable diapers) over a 24 hour period? Probably nothing to worry about. You could place baby on that breast more often, but if nothing is wrong, why fix it?

My baby is 4 weeks now.
    Everytime I put him on the breast, we have a 2 to 3 min screaming and crying, calming him down then trying again. He seems always upset. I just weaned him off the shields.
    Does anyone know if milk supply can still incraese at this point in time or it s pretty much established.
    and thanks for the answer.

Its not all the way established yet at 4 weeks.. Have you tried any regular pumping after feeds yet? By the way I have a breast that produces way more than the other. I would recommend checking out this site in case part of the problem is that the milk may come out fast in the breast that is least favored. Some babies don't like a fast flow. Hard to tell, have you gone to La Leche League meeting yet?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; May 9th, 2007 at 03:08 PM.

Poupa I have the exact same issue. And I've had it since day one. But I don't know that DD prefers the right side more or is it that because it produced more from day one that I just always put her on that side. I too would only get less than an ounce if I pumped on that breast but then I started to pump while feeding her and I've actually gotten up to 2 1/2. My hairdresser gave me that pointer. But either way the right side has provided her with enough to make her happy and healthy and she's 7 mos. now. So try the pumping while feeding tecnique if you haven't already. Good Luck!
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08