Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loss of pregnancy

Default loss of pregnancy

I recently found out that I was pregnant, but just as quickly lost the pregnancy. My doctor has told me that I need to have a procedure done to completly end the pregnancy, I hate to think of this, it scares me so much.
    I know that there is a medication that can be taken to do this, but I am still breastfeeding my 2 year old a couple times a day. My doctor says he does not know if the medication would effect my nursing 2 year old, he says thats a long time to be nursing, most of his patients never go that long.

I don't know what to do, I have until Friday to make my decision. Does anyone know anything about either procedure. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: loss of pregnancy

Hi Hbsmomma,
    I am sorry for your loss. This must be a very difficult time for you.
    If you'd like to let me know the name of the medication, I can try to find some information for you. Feel free to PM if you like.
    I'll be out this afternoon, but I'll back later to check in.
    Hugs,
    Mary

I am so sorry for your loss (((HUGS))).

This might be an instance where you would want to get a second opinion. Some mothers have decided not to have these kind of proceedures done and to just allow nature to take it's course, but that's a very personal decision to make and one you would probably want to make with a health care provider that you trust.

That being said, weaning is rarely necessary, even if a mother has to take a medication or have surgery. You can ask your doctor to look up any medications he is recommending in MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS MILK by Dr. Thomas Hale, 2006 ed. This book is a compilation of research into whether or not a medication that a mother takes passes into her milk and, if so, what effect if any it has on the baby. Some pharmacists have access to this book as well.

It would also be good for you to express your desire to continue breastfeeding with your doctor. Many mothers in similar situation have found that continuing to breastfeed their older child is comforting to them during their time of grief. Sometimes doctors don't understand the emotional benefits of extended nursing and do not realize how important it can be to both mother and child.

I hope that helps you, at least a little. Please let us know if there is anything more we can do for you.

(((HUGS))),

Tiana

He seems to think it is best to use the medication to end. And I agree, I really don't want to be waiting for an end, knowing that it is going to happen but not exactly when. And I would rather be at home, resting and surrounded by my childeren then in a room, all alone for hours and having to dwell on it. He told me with medication it is much more natural, just like it was occuring on its own.

Thank you for your replies!

You're welcome.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Tiana

After talking with the doctor again, and doing lots of reading, I have decided that the surgical option is probably best. Does anyone have any stories of breastfeeding after one of these porcedures.

Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear that. I wish I had some advice for you but the only thing I can think of is nursing will probably cause you uterus to contract a little and might help release some blood after the procedure. I don't know if that's good or bad. My guess is good, but I really don't know. I just thought about it because after birth they say it's good for your uterus to do this (wards off infections), though I'm really not sure.
    I do know that nursing will help you feel some comfort in cuddling in bed with your little cherub during this difficult time.
    G-d bless you and yours.

well it just continues. My numbers are not dropping despite loosing the pregnancy. My doc had a second doctor come in to comfirm the loss, he said that I should not have numbers that are still going up so...he is afraid of a eptopic now. He said the first thing to try is the medication, right away. He said there is really no time to waste because fo the risk of a ruptured tube. He gave me a medication in the office, followed by more that I have to take this weekend, in his office. This just gets worse and worse. He also gave me no help in the area of breastfeeding, he said that they recomend stopping breastfeeding infants for 48-72 hours but nothing about toddlers. He said it would probably be ok to breast feed just a couple times a day, but as a doc. he is sposed to advice me to stop. I go back again tomorrow for a check of my levels, and more medication. Then on monday for another blood draw, and every few days until my numbers are low enough to show that everything is done.
    I feel numb!!! And my beautiful baby girls keeps asking for boobie, I gave in once last night, and now am so scared. If I wait the 72 hours she will be over it, my milk will be gone, and I will have suffered yet another loss.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. If you post the exact names of the medication, someone can look it up for you in Thomas Hale's book. All doctors really *should* know this, but they don't. If you want faster answers than you can get online, try calling a local leader (some of them have the book) or an IBCLC (they will have it).

I did look at Hales and it is just so confusing. the medication is misoprostol, he says

Here’s what Thomas Hale says about misoprostol in his book, Medications and Mothers’ Milk (2004), page 570.
    Lactation Risk Category L3 (see below for definition of L3)
    “Misoprostol is a prostoglandin E1 compound that is useful in treating nonsteriodal-induced gastric ulceration. Misoprostol is absorbed orally and rapidly metabolized. Intact misoprostol is not detectable in plasma and is rapidly metabolized to misoprostol acid which is biologically active. Secretion of misoprostol in milk is unlikely due to rapid maternal metabolism. However, secretion of its active metabolite is possible and could produce diarrhea in newborns although this has not been reported.
    Adult concerns: diarrhea, abdominal cramps and pain, uterine bleeding and abortion
    Pediatric concerns: none reported, but observe for diarrhea, abdominal cramps
    Adult dose: 100-200 micrograms QID
    T ½ (Half-life): 20-40 minutes
    Tmax (peak plasma interval): 14-20 minutes

So I don't know how to interpit this, is he saying no breastfeeding or its probably ok