Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: straining when pooping

Default straining when pooping

Hi
    My DD is exclusively bf for past 12 weeks.She strains a lot while pooping although her poop is semisolid.She poops once evry 4-5 days.Is this a problem.Even though she is not constipated she strains a lot and her face become pale when she poops.Has anybody has seen anything like this.

Default Re: straining when pooping

DS has been ebf since birth and he often makes little straining faces even though his poops are quite liquidy. I wouldn't worry unless she is passing pellet like poops or seems to be in pain. As far as the every few days before poops, I am not sure how often they should be having them at her age. DS is 7 months and some days he has 5 and other times we won't have one for a day or two.

My DD will be four months on the 20th and she does the same thing. She strains and strains and seems like she's working SUPER hard to have a bowel movement even though they're more liquid than solid. My hubby did some research and found a site (don't know what it was though) online that mentioned that babies often strain because to them what they're doing is hard work...they haven't had anything more difficult to do in their short little lives. I guess that makes sense considering they live in such a secure environment in the womb and then all of a sudden they're exposed to all sorts of things that make them uncomfortable! Pooping probably does seem like a big chore to them!

As long as DS is having regular bowel movements and they appear to look normal, I wouldn't be concerned.

Amber

my DS (10 weeks) goes bright red and starts crying shortly before a gassy movement! always has done.....