Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My girl only eats for 4 minutes!

Default My girl only eats for 4 minutes!

So, I think I have a fast let down. But, she has started only eating for 4 minutes and then stops. When I pump, that is usually the end of the foremilk but the hind milk doesn't let down until around 10 minutes of pumping. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Default Re: My girl only eats for 4 minutes!

How are her diapers? If they are green and frothy, that indicates an imbalance of what she's getting. If they are the normal seedy yellow or some variation along those lines, you're fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Pumping and direct nursing are different. Here's some info on foremilk/hindmilk you might find helpful. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html

She has had the green in her diaper before, but not lately. I did notice a little frothyness yesterday, but only once. The rest have all been normal. Thanks for the article, I'll read it!

Although it is hard...TRY not to compare your LO to a pump. You would be amazed at how much more your LO can get out and how much faster. In the really early days due to slow weight gain...my LC wanted to weigh LO before and after nursing to see how my output was, she thought it might be an issue..I did not because I could hear and see him swallowing. He got an amazing 6 oz out of one side in a very small time frame....do not remember exact time but it was around 5 minutes.

Some LO's get very very efficient, very fast. The only way to determine what LO is getting is by looking at the output. You can try switch nursing to ensure you LO gets more hindmilk if she will allow it. Her belly might be truly full, and she might refuse.....
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

At 3 weeks old my son suddenly became a 5 minutes eater- and still is 6 months later. Sometimes they just get very efficient. I also have a strong let-down which I think contributes. Do you feel letdown? For me it's a tingling in the top part of my breast about 30 seconds to 1 minute into nursing. The hindmilk starts being pushed out as soon as letdown occurs. If you can hear her swallowing lots and the diapers look ok try not to worry. I had to talk to my LC and LLL leaders like 10 times about this before I finally believed everything was OK!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

This was the hardest thing for me. My ds has a 5minute feed ever since we left the hospital. I worried and worried and worried. I was in for lc, weight checks, worrying about him not getting hindmilk etc. He has always been fine. He had enough wets and dirty diapers and his weight gain was always above average. It was SO hard for me after hearing "breastfeed 10-15 minutes on each breast". "Each Breast"??he never nursed on "Each Breast"!

Hope that helps to reassure you some
    Breastfed for 20months

WOW...Am I ever glad to find this post!

My LO is 8 weeks now and ever since he was born he's been a Quick Feeder! He usually does about 3-5 minutes per side if I am lucky.

I too did not believe the Dr's and Lc that as long as his output was good then all was fine.

When I was in the hospital I would lie to the nurse about how long I was feeding per side just to get them to leave me alone...I know its bad but they were really pushy that I should feed at least 20 min per side YIKES!!!
    Last edited by jozzie; May 11th, 2007 at 07:11 PM. Reason: a typ-o