Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nurse One Breast, Pump the other

Default Nurse One Breast, Pump the other

My 3 week old is a long nurser. He takes at least 30-40 minutes to nurse. I'm trying to build up supply for night feedings so my husband can feed him and in the event I need someone to watch him when I run out.
    I'm planning on letting him nurse as long as he wants on one breast, then I'm pumping the other breast afterwards for about 10 minutes. In those 10 minutes I get abou 1 oz to 1.5 oz. The next feeding starts on the side I pumped.
    Initially, I was switching more often during feedings but felt like he wasn't getting my hindmilk.

Does anyone think this routine is bad? I see mixed things about switching breasts. What's wrong with givin him one breast at time to nurse on? Any advice? I don't want to start a bad habit...Thanks!

Default Re: Nurse One Breast, Pump the other

Quote Originally Posted by hellonicole View Post
    My 3 week old is a long nurser. He takes at least 30-40 minutes to nurse. I'm trying to build up supply for night feedings so my husband can feed him and in the event I need someone to watch him when I run out.
    I'm planning on letting him nurse as long as he wants on one breast, then I'm pumping the other breast afterwards for about 10 minutes. In those 10 minutes I get abou 1 oz to 1.5 oz. The next feeding starts on the side I pumped.
    Initially, I was switching more often during feedings but felt like he wasn't getting my hindmilk.

Does anyone think this routine is bad? I see mixed things about switching breasts. What's wrong with givin him one breast at time to nurse on? Any advice? I don't want to start a bad habit...Thanks!

Not sure what kind of pump you have, but most moms find they get more milk if they pump in the AM vs. later in the day. Many pumps allow mom to pump one breast while baby BF on the other one. Doing both things at once saves time, your baby triggers a good let-down so you may get more milk when pumping. And by the next BF, should be ready to go on alternate side!

I'd suggest being a bit cautious with pumping -- can get into oversupply issues if pumping too much; can start with 1x/day. Also, would suggest some caution re: overdoing for night feeding supplementing; you still won't want to go too long at night or you could set yourself up for a plugged duct or mastitis.

Default Re: Nurse One Breast, Pump the other

Thanks for the advice. I'm using The Medela handpump - Harmony. I won't pump every time I BF to avoif over-supply. As for at night, while my husband gives him the bottle, I pump to avoid that long stretch so I think that should be ok. I do BF at night for the 3am feeding so I'm not pumping the whole time. I'll try to pump while he's nursing to see if that works out better. Thanks again..Trying to figure this all out!