Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old grinding teeth--I can't stand it anymore!

Default 10 month old grinding teeth--I can't stand it anymore!

It sounds like my 10 month old has rocks in his teeth!--so loud! gritting his teeth together. I'm starting to lose it! I hope this phase doesn't last long!! Anyone have any luck getting such a young child to stop doing this??

Default Re: 10 month old grinding teeth--I can't stand it anymore!

Are more teeth coming in? I am just wondering if he could be uncomfortable orally hence the grinding. It could also be that he just likes the sensation. Have you tried giving him something really hard to gnaw at like natural teething biscuits? I have no real experience with this, but just thought something like that might help a bit.

Yep, my ds now 11months did that and still does sometimes. Not as much as before. No real advice, sorry...

Yeah, I went out to the car to get the biter biscuits out of the diaper bag. He doesn't really like them but I thought I'd give them a try. I don't like the biter biscuits either because they make such a mess. He chewed on it for awhile. I have been trying to keep him distracted doing the things he likes. I'm just looking forward to putting him to bed tonight. He has been so moody and yes he is cutting more teeth. It seems like cutting teeth will never end. He has been teething bad for 2 months. This last month he seems to be in agony over it. His ears are fine. We have tried motrin, tylenol, teething tablets, gripe water, chewing rings, toys etc and motrin helps but I try to only give it to him a max of 2 times a day. I talked to my doctor over being concerned about long term effects of keeping him on pain reducers but he wasn't concerned. Teething is really effecting his mood. Got to go--he will only play by himself for a short while now.

Teething IS hard, and it does seem to go on forever.

Take heart, though -- when my son finally finished cutting his first-year molars, he was like a completely different baby -- happy, sleeping, no more ear infections (he had persistent ear infections for the 6 weeks or so that his molars were coming in).

About the teeth grinding -- I would ask your son's doctor about it at his next appointment. If it persists throughout childhood, it could cause jaw problems -- he'll probably outgrow it very shortly, but if not it couldn't hurt to bring his doc's attention to it now.

--Rebecca